Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Is the 300 super-low worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 300 super-low worth it?

I am a hunter and looking for anATV to hunt with. Towing/hauling capacity is a primary concern. I heard that the AC 300 w/ superlow gear is an incredible machine for hunters. I am looking at the AC 300, the suzuki vinson and the polaris ho sportsman.

Any of you out there own the AC 300 and what do you think of it now? Is it good for the woods and hauling out an elk or muley?

Thanks...I really appreciate the advice

Old 10-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

the 300 does pull alot in that super low range specially if you can keep the traction the 300 does have a lower center of gravity so it is easier to maneuver over logs and stuff and not a bad ride as well

Old 10-25-2004, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

I've got a 2000 300 4x2 I bought new in May of 2003. It now has 650 miles:

The 300 engine is a sweet runner. Fuel economy is excellent. I routinely get just over 100 miles on a tank w/out switching to "reserve." In Low Range 1st through 3rd are almost too low. IF you can get the traction, the 300 will go ALMOST everywhere a 4x4 will go. That said, the power/gearing is there but getting traction is the problem. The 300 is just not heavy enough and let's face it - an elk can be hefty (assuming you get that big one you've been hoping for).

In addition to the IRS, clearance, etc.; the engine/trans/diff are a combined unit and located far to the rear, over the back wheels. This will help the traction and getting out of difficult spots, but...the weight towards the rear makes the steering very light and the unit can have a tendency to "go over backwards" on hills - care must be used. This is particularly true if you ever ride two up (yes I know it's not recommended, but you'll probably do it a few times), or if you load the elk/deer on the rear rack and drive out.

For general improved road riding the 300 is a great machine, but knowing what you want to use it for, I'd recommend a 400 4x4, particularly if you are hunting in the mountains at significant altitude. Because the front end is light, the 300 4x2 tends to be a little "darty" on gravel/improved roads. You'll get used to this quickly, but your first reaction is whoa! I realize sometimes we buy somthing because it's available at the time and may not be be exactly what we need. If you have access to a 300 4x2 that fits this catigory, you'd be wise to consider a winch. This can help overcome some the down side Ive talked about.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an '03 300 4x4. I used it this weekend to carry a large deer out of a very steep Snake River canyon on the front rack. In 3rd gear (super low range) I had NO PROBLEM with power (just don't expect to go anywhere fast). Gearing provides better control on hills than any other bike I have ridden. The IRS ride is great as well. The low profile gives a lower center of gravity for side-hilling, but gives up a little ground clearance. Where I hunt, this is a fair trade-off. The engine is also quieter than most.

The issues I have with this bike:
1) No fan on the oil cooler. I worry about longevity due to running hot, though the idiot light has never come on.
2) Tires are wider than the fenders. Mud protection was very poor in the rain. My rifle, my deer, and I were all covered.
3) Not the smoothest shifter. My dad's Suzuki Eiger 5 speed is smoother, but has less control on hills.
4) No matter how you cut it, a 280 cc engine is less exciting than the larger engines. Just remind yourself of all the $$ you saved.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good low speed power. The engine doesn't have near the power of the other two. The super low is exactly what it says. Low geared, low speed. It was probably a pretty big feature for Suzuki back when a 350 was about the biggest quad you could buy, and the super low gear was able to tap into extra grunt, but with the larger engines offered today, it really doesn't matter much.

Arctic Cat's rack capacity is better than the others though. And while 100lb rated capacity isn't really much better than 90lb rack capacity, the Arctic cat racks always looked more sturdy. Plus, the stated capacities are much lower than you can actually haul on them. I don't know how thick the tubing is these days, but in the late 90's the Arctic Cats had the thickest tubing available. At least on 400's and 500's.