Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Please Help.....with AC 500 '03

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help.....with AC 500 '03

Two things to check.

Make absolutely sure the fuel tank vent is not clogged & Check the spark plug wire and its connections on each end to see if they are loose as they go into the end pieces.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for your help, I may have more pieces to the puzzle....

Last night I stripped EVERYTHING off the 4 wheeler that I knew how....

1.) I cleaned the Air Filter...seemed to be a little dirty...it did have some Oil in the bottom of the Air Filter Box....

2.) Made sure that my radator was clean and had fluid in it...

3.) Took of the gas hose that goes into the carb and made sure I had good gas Flow to the carb....I did have great flow...nothing was clogged in it....

4.) I checked the Vent hose for the Gas Tank....the vent hose IS LOOOOOONG!!!! I cut down in half...I seen on one of the threads it might fix my problem...

5.) BIG ONE....my Spark Plug was BLACK as Charcoal!!!! I don't see how it got any spark at all.....It was like it had been flooded alot!!! I tried to clean it up and had no success so i'm gone to get a New Spark Plug today....

So.................... I'm starting to think that the vent hose was not allowing the fuel to go into the carb correctly and when the tank was heated outside or when the motor was in a strain (going UP hills) it was making the Air inside the tank push more gas into the carb which was more then was need...thus flooding out my spark plug and carb.....

This is just a guess right now....

What do you all think...????

Thanks for the HELP EVERYONE....

Old 01-07-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

That sounds like a good theory. Alot of people will instantly tell you that it is this or that, usually something electrical that cost alot of $. Always start with the simple stuff ie; plug , filters, fuel. 99% of the time it will end up being a couple $ fix, after you have spent big $ on other things that didnt work.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Cruff
Thanks everyone for your help, I may have more pieces to the puzzle....

Last night I stripped EVERYTHING off the 4 wheeler that I knew how....

1.) I cleaned the Air Filter...seemed to be a little dirty...it did have some Oil in the bottom of the Air Filter Box....

2.) Made sure that my radator was clean and had fluid in it...

3.) Took of the gas hose that goes into the carb and made sure I had good gas Flow to the carb....I did have great flow...nothing was clogged in it....

4.) I checked the Vent hose for the Gas Tank....the vent hose IS LOOOOOONG!!!! I cut down in half...I seen on one of the threads it might fix my problem...

5.) BIG ONE....my Spark Plug was BLACK as Charcoal!!!! I don't see how it got any spark at all.....It was like it had been flooded alot!!! I tried to clean it up and had no success so i'm gone to get a New Spark Plug today....

So.................... I'm starting to think that the vent hose was not allowing the fuel to go into the carb correctly and when the tank was heated outside or when the motor was in a strain (going UP hills) it was making the Air inside the tank push more gas into the carb which was more then was need...thus flooding out my spark plug and carb.....

This is just a guess right now....

What do you all think...????

Thanks for the HELP EVERYONE....
Your theroy won't hold up, physics doesn't work that way. As long as the vent and hose are not plugged, the the air in the tank will be at the same pressure as outside the tank. Now a plugged vent or hose can cause one of two states. After running a while and pulling fuel from the tank, you end up with a vacuum in the tank and no fuel flow. Or after you shut the motor off the heat rising from the engine could heat the tank and cause enough pressure to override the needle valve in the carb (not likely but possible). With your stated problem the way to make sure it isn't the vent is to blow thru the vent hose with the cap off and fuel below the lip of the filler. You should have air flow and be able to hear it. If not pull the hose off the tank and blow thru it, if it is clear then run a small wire down the vent hole and clear it. Again the black spark plug says carb problem and not a fuel tank to carb problem. Hell man I was a marine and small engine mechanic for 25 years. I can only give advice from what you tell me, but from what you say , it is a carb problem, quit screwing around and pull the sucker, it's not that hard.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Trailblazer

Ok.....

I gave it a GOOD ride yesterday went around 25 miles gave it a real hard time!!! Not one sputter.....i'm still thinking of tearing the Carb out and check it out.....