Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

6 Long Years....Finally Got an ATV again

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Long Years....Finally Got an ATV again

Some Background----

I used to race ATV's and dirtbikes from the time I was 10 years old and always lived in town so we would have to travel to ride. When I got married I sold my bike (RM250) and decided to leave it all behind and "grow up". My wife conviced me that it would be hard to make a living with broken bones and layed up. I used to laugh at all the guys on utility quads and wonder what the heck you would buy something like that.

Shortly after getting married we bought a farm and I have 500+ acres of premium riding ground behind my house. Things always came up (2 kids) and I never aquired the funds to even shop around for an ATV. After the purchase of a horse and me whining around like a baby for 2 years we finally went shopping for something.

I thought I had a deal done with one local dealership on a 750 Brute Force but he came back on the final invoice with about $1000 in extra charges. I thought that was BS and left immediately. Plus they was not going to have my plow ready until March....wtf.

We left there and went to the local AC dealer and bought the 400i he had set up for himself. It was there and ready to go so the wife said ok. I probably paid quite a bit more for it than if I was to shop around but he is less than 15 minutes from my house. Negotiating was not really and option as I left his dealership twice and he was firm. He did throw in a winshield and the first two services. He did not charge freight, handling, setup, plow installation, or any of the other crap the other dealer was charging me. I'm actually glad I did not buy the BF because it was way more than what I needed....plus I have about $2k more in my pocket.

My pictures are posted in my gallery.....by the way......now I know why people ride utitlity quads and I'm not laughing anymore.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bowtech,

Welcome to the world of Utility ATVs and owning an AC brand.

Like you, I had a simular past. Grew up on youth dirt bikes, snowmobiles and double drove my enduro Honda 250 XL all over the place. Didn't have the funds to race but did lots of trail, field, sand pit and winderness type riding. When I look back, "those were the years". Then, the wife and kids came along. Always something with a higher priority. Always something needing our limited dollars. Approx 2.5 years ago, we bought a 2002 AC 500i and soon after, a Predator 90 for my middle son.. Fell love within ATVing & "mudding it" ever since. For example: - Press Here -

As many would say, "when it's in your blood, it's in your blood...".

Old 01-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome back, 400cc is big enough, and I enjoy riding utes too.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a question though.....

My dealer said that I should bring it back between 200-300 miles for the first service. When reading through posts regarding "breaking in" periods I noticed that most guys change their oil anywhere between the first tank of gas to 20 miles to exclude any shavings that might be present.

What are your thoughts on this.....Is 200-300 miles too long?

Old 01-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I remember correctly, I changed my oil at 100, then 475 (dealer sevice on 475 mark). When new, changing oil at 40, then 150, then 500 is probably a better idea. Especially if you want to keep your unit age 80 (like me). When chaning oil, also remember to change the filter. Filter stops lots of "possible" shavings.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Most of us change oil based on hours, not so much on miles.
After the first 10 hours is a recomended time interval, and probably 25 or so hours after that, or one year, whichever comes first.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

i am lazy i think i changed mine at 250 to 300 miles that is when it is basically considered broken in and i don't know how much you know about atv's but don't hold it wide open longer then 2 seconds before burping it for about the first 150 to 200 miles well don't hold it at any speed but good luck with your new quad is it automatic? and you got a great suzuki motor and if it is auto the best tranny belt system on the market and the most ground clearance should suit just fine on the farm i know mine does

Old 01-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

Bowtech,

Out of curiosity, which model bow do you shoot? I shoot a MightyMite VFT. I love it when people make fun of my baby bow, and then I out shoot them. LOL

Old 01-25-2005, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

I shoot an 04' Liberty.....

I just got back into bowhunting 4 years ago and went from a Jennings Airmaster to a Mathews Legacy to a Patriot Dually and now this Liberty. I like the Liberty far better than any other bow I have had.....killed a buck and a doe within 3 days of one another so I think I'm keeping it.

I guess I will stick with the dealers recommendation on the service since he will be doing all the work on my bike and he should know. I was trying to follow a breaking in process of not holding it open for extended periods of time but my wife jumped on it and took it to her parents house wide open the whole way down one of the roads. I was pissed.....but she was having fun and I only have it because of her good graces.

Yes it is an automatic

Old 01-25-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!

NO WAY. Look in your owners manual and I bet it says to change it eailer than that. I changed mine at the first hour and then 10 hours along with a filter. It's cheap insurance. Just do it yourself. It's easy. The dealer wants your repair business in the future. Do yourself a favor and learn how to do simple maintance yourself. You can get a repair manual on e-bay on cd-rom for 3 or 4 dollars. I'm sure other AC owners will help you with any questions you might have. It's your baby, take care of it![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 6 Long Years....Finally Got an ATV again