Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

It's been a while

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been a while

I see the pride has grown since I last logged on. I'm Texascat. I used to frequent this site religiously. I moved to Arkansas in mid 2003 and have been there ever since. I retained the Texascat screen name because that's where my 2001 500 autocat lives. I was in Texas for 5 weeks in December and January. I rode my cat a little but noticed some problems. It only runs on the reserve tank and I think I know why. The fuel gauge came to pieces in the tank and the float may be disintegrating and clogging the fuel line. It also just up and dies without warning and backfires like crazy. Could this just be from sitting up for so long without being run? Could the carb be gummed up?

I don't like cats but I like my Cat and would never buy anything else even though my nephew just bought a Polaris 700. He's going to kill himself on that thing because he's an accident waiting for a place to happen.

If anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,

Texascat

Old 02-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

First, I'd take a look at the gauge problem. You could be right about it falling apart and cloging the petcock. But never the less, you'll need to take the petcock off and check it out to see why it only works on reserve. As far as fuel gumming, it depends how old the fuel is. I've noticed that the shelf life for fuel isn't very good now a days, so that could be part of your problem. As long as your machines does run, I'd first try adding some Carb Cleaner in the gas and see if that clears things up. If it don't, you have no choice to take your carb apart and clean it up.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

yea, i would clean the carb and put in new plugs. also, maybe take off the tank and clean it.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

after you do all that and get it running i would take it out and run the bajesus out of it. to many people are scared to run the motor hard for a few miles but it does them good to blow that carbon out of them and open everything up.