Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

gettin mine sat pls comment ac 500 trv

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gettin mine sat pls comment ac 500 trv

I'm in therapy now trying to find the root of this evil

Old 02-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

Who Dat'
Well Sat It came at 9am. We drove it where we knew we could and just got the feel for it. It's GREAT.
Since you own two of them I have a few questions I hope you can answer. Is it necessary to remove the gas tank to replace the spark plugs?, and the aux. brake or the back brake that the dealer calls it does not really do much unless you stand on it. Is that normal? Does it really engage the back dics?
Other than that we love it and are now seriously considering selling my Honda Valkyrie and buying another ATV. Maybe a Bombadier I understand they do not use a belt do you know about this?
!st

Old 02-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

whodat
did you get my msg? I would like to hear from you about that

Old 02-21-2005, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

1st1at50,

I saw a device at Cut-Rate-Auto-Parts store the other day, CRAP for short, that you and WHoDat might be interested in. Its a Semi-Hemishpereical Ignition Tracker (I won't abreviate that one!). Used to track you ATV in the event its ever stolen so you can trtack down and given a little Texas justice to the perps. You next time you wonder into a CRAP store you can look for that (Semi-Hemishpereical Ignition Tracker).

LOL...

I am not sure how the rear brake works on the new machines. But, I do know that if you look at the rear wheel there are two sets of brakes. One for the hyhrolic hand brakes and the other for the mechanical foor brake. Nice design in theory (two sets of brakes) it tool an extra long time to burnish the foot brake before I noticed it at all. It must be burnished separate from the hand brake as its a different brake caliper. The foot brake works well for keeping the machine from rolling while on small hills but not much for anything else. I believe its due to the fact that its a single caliper on one wheel has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't worry too much about the Duramatic transmission belt drive on the AC. I have only heard of 2 belts needing to be replaced. 1 due to a seal failure which coated the belt in oil, The second one had an unheard of number of miles ( so big I don't even remember it).

You can remove the spark plug with out removing the gas tank. I changed the plugs at 100miles when I checked the valve clearence (which requires the removal of the gas tank) and haven't changed it since. Over 1000 miles ago.

Like I said before the second seat on the AC TRV is very comfortable. I will be honest and say I enjoy riding there when my wife drives. Her saying to me is "Sit Down, Shut-up, and Hold on!" usually said with a smile on her face actually. I am looking into buying a second one as well but I do not like the electronic instruments for where I am at.

Enjoy the ride.
SJ

Old 02-21-2005, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

we only got to put 18 mi. on over the wknd but she drove too. It was REALLY comfortable back there. Definitely getting another one soon. Maybe not a TRV but a 6 or 750 not sure need to research. Thanks for response
Talk soon
1st

Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry - was off doing that work thing.

Great that you have your new TRV. What did you think of the suspension?
It looks like all of your questions have already been accurately answered so I wont duplicate what others have already posted.
I don't know about the bombs - my neighbor had one and couldnt wait to sell it. The cats seem to have the perfect
blend of power and "balance" over the bombs. I like the MRP racks to much to consider anything else myself and having two of them means I can mix and match or totaly gear up.
The bomb didnt have the turn radius when we looked at them in 2004. Service around here would be an issue with only one dealer in the cities that I know of. Maybe different where you are at.

If you want a custom TRV MRP rack for the rear - ship me your rear weldment and I will send you one with the MRP inserts installed for $150 plus return shipping. Or you might want to make one yourself. Mine are welded on by a professional welder. I use the professional welder as my own welding looks bad but its strong....lol

After riding the TRV in the Rocky mountains of Montana I decided it has all the power I will ever need. After all - I did use it to tow some of the other quads out of the deep snow at 10K feet.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

WhoDat,

When you orderd your heavy duty springs for your TRV, did you also have to order that spring tool? or did it come with the spring Kit?

Also, did you replace the stock AC shocks with heavy duty shocks as well?

Thanks
SJ

Old 02-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

The ride was as comfortable as it gets. Especially when she drove and I got to sit in the rear. The accessory book shows allot of different racks but every ad said "except for TRV" What's with that? We do welding at my place of work so I can design something on cadd and we can bang it out during a slow period. Thanks for the offer anyway. We had the spring setting to the middle position and it handled just fine. We climbed some pretty steep terrain with about 6 in. of snow without a problem. The only real problem was having to leave it at the house upstate and drive back 3.5 hours to reality. Can't wait to get back up there and do it again!
1st

Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

The spring tool is a god-sent. It works great! I've done it will all kinds of the wrong tool and felt like I was risking life and limb.

And.... mrp accessories meant only for the rear MRP racks will not work with the TRV as it doesnt have a rear mrp rack. If you add a MRP rack for the rear as I did - you can use most of the accessories that have the two plug in spades. I made my rear rackage to allow the accessories to plug in closer to the quad and not stick out as far as they would on the std MRP rear racks. You may want to consider a box for the back also and I would recommend the Kolpin countoured box as it wraps around the rear back support arms very nicely. Once you have the box set in place you can determine the length or position of the MRP square tubes so that your accessories will not interfere in box placement nor be sticking out so far that you need to fear mailboxes.

Tuning the MRP rack to not interfere with GPS harmonics can be tricky. It may effect the radiant propogation wave of the heilo extractor and prevent proper coordination. I think Gilligan expereinced this during the storm.

added.... specify the partnumber with the spring tool when choosing the spring kit.

ps. No I did not get the heavy duty shocks. I have not found the need after increasing the spring strength.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

Who Dat
Gilligan was high as a kite as the story goes, anyway when I bought my 500 the dealer told me he could't honer the $69.00 winch special because he dropprd the price of the out the door. Do you think that is right?
1st

Quick Reply: gettin mine sat pls comment ac 500 trv