Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Soon to be new AC owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2000, 03:25 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All:
Just wanted to let you all know I have been lurking (in a nice way) on this board for the last few days (many hrs) getting info on the AC as I have been considering buying a 2001 500 auto. My other choice was the Sportman 500. After reading various posts over the last several months by Cowboy, vtCatamount, in2atvn and many others with insitefull information and actual hands on use, I got the impression that the AC is one hell of a machine. I will be buying an AC!!With AC only being in the market for a short period they have done extremely well. The Polaris dealer is over 1 hr. away and the AC is just down the street. Thanks for your insite guys and hope to learn more from all your experiences and informative posts. I should be asking the dealer to install the winch tomorrow and possibly out riding shortly thereafter. (taking the day off so I have time to go riding)
Thanx again.....shmoky

Old 10-03-2000, 04:21 AM
Range Rover

Congatulations on your purchase and welcome to the world of Arctic Cat atv's. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your new machine. Let us all how it went after you get it home.

Have a fun day playin' with your new toy,
maxandblade@hotmail.com

Old 10-03-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on your choice, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Old 10-03-2000, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Shmoky:
Congrats on the new AC purchase! I'm sure you'll love your new machine. Wise choice adding a winch, I think it's the single best improvement you can make to any atv. Aftermarket tires are a huge improvement, but will still get stuck. With a winch, your possiblities of where you can go and what you can do are endless. I'd also recommend picking up a good ****** block as well, in case you haven't already.

Best of luck, and keep us informed as to your thoughts!

Mike

Old 10-04-2000, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good to see another AC man in the coming. I've been really seriously thinking of (and trying to at times) get rid of my 99 AC 500 to get a Sportsman HO. We rode 46 miles last night and I rode on my honda most of the way. Just looking at the AC from that vantage point, it makes it hard to think of letting it go. Right now, I'm looking into aspects of keeping it and just buying the HO straight out as a second quad. I need two four wheelers like I need a hole in my head, but it would clear up any of those times where a friend is over and we need a pair of bikes. The honda works in a pinch, but can't go in the same places as the 4x4 AC. I normally end up riding the honda because I feel more comfortable with the other person having a solid ride underneath them.

Old 10-04-2000, 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
That would be cool if you could keep the AC and get the HO, best of both worlds. The wait and decision making is the worst part I think. Kind of tough digesting it once you actually bite the bullet and make the purchase, but after the first outting, you'd never look back.

As for the break issue over in the Polaris forum, I forgot all about Atving having an AC. Makes sense now that you said he didn't have it very long. It's just kind of funny-lately there's been a lot of talk about replacing breaks. Seems the Polaris guys are having the worst difficulties with them, but even the other forums are talking about it as well. I can't imagine having to change the break pads every 200-300 miles, that's crazy!

Well, it's now tuesday, and financial aid hasn't gone through yet. I went in yesterday when they said it was supposed to be here, and they said I had to fill out another piece of paper. I'm thinking, damn, I've about signed my life away a thousand times over now. Must have filled out nearly 50 pages by now. Anyway, they found an error somewhere along the way, and decided that they would give me even more money in a grant form, which is free that I don't pay back. Said that it will be thursday when I get my check now.

Really kind of pisses me off, as I'm finally heading out this weekend to ride for the entire weekend. Deer season starts next weekend and elk on the 28th. I was hoping to have the 'Claws here in the next week or two, so I could get a chance to ride them before elk season starts. Kind of get a feel for them if you know what I mean.

I was going to ask you, are the Mud Machine's advertised in Cawood the same identical tire as the Tri-Claw??? I'm pretty sure they are, but it's hard to tell exactly from their pictures. I know you said they didn't know what the Bi/Tri Claws were, even though they were the Mud Machines, but I didn't realize the Bi/Tri combo went clear down to a 22" tire. What I'm getting at is High Lifter is out of stock, and on back order. Might be a while before they get them in. Cawood has them, but I want to make sure they are the same identical tire before I purchase, if I have to order through them. I really want to buy from High Lifter, as they have been very helpful here the last week or two, but if they don't have them or can't deliver in time, I may have to get them elsewhere, where I can have them in the next week for sure.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Old 10-04-2000, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

The "Mud Machines" are the 22" tires. Then they step up to the 24-26" Bi-Claws and Tri-Claws. Then there are 27" Bi-Claw Magnums and Tri-CLaw magnums.

Go here for more information on Sand tires Unlimited Mud tires.

Old 10-04-2000, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Boner:
Hey, thanks for the Mud Machine site! Man, I'm going crazy having to wait for these things, can't wait to see what they do on my 'Cat! Who did you order yours through? High Lifter is still on back order, and I don't really want to wait the few more weeks it will take for them to get them in, then another week for them to arrive here. Probably be too much snow on the ground by then.

Thanks again,

Mike

Old 10-04-2000, 07:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Boner is giving you correct information about the actual tire names, but he doesn't know what we are really talking about.

Cawood says Mud Machine, but if you look, they have the tire sizes listed. They have both Bi and Tri Claws in 27", they just don't know what the name of them are. Probably do by now, but the idiot I talked with didn't know it. If you order from them, just tell them 27x12-12 and 27x9.75-12 mud machines. Whether they know it or not, thats the right tire. Sand Tires Unlimited does make a tire that is strictly called Mud Machine, but its a 22 or 23 inch tire. Cawood has the right thing, they just don't print the right name.

Old 10-04-2000, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Great, thanks Andy. I might have to order through Cawood then, if High Lifter is still on back order. I called Cawood a couple days ago to see if they had them, after HL said they didn't, and Cawood said yes, they had plenty in the 27x9.75x12 and 27x12x12. I asked for those sizes in the Mud Machines though, after what you had said about them not knowing the Bi/Tri Claw names. Just figured they still wouldn't know, but next time I call, I'll ask just to see.

I am glad that Boner posted that site though, man I love the close up pics! Look even meaner than the ones in HL because it's a closer picture, with more detail. Would be cool to be able to enter their drawing too for a free set, but it looks like you already have to have a set to qualify. Still, a good deal though.

Well, I leave at 5:00 a.m. to head up to elk camp for a full weekend of riding and scouting out deer and elk for the next few weekends. Sure wish I had the 'Claws for the weekend, but guess I'll have to keep waiting. I'm hoping to be able to order them next monday, so cross your fingers, say a little prayer, do a little dance, drink a few beers, well, whatever it takes for me to get that damn check! Heh Heh Heh, this wait is excruciating!

Mike

Quick Reply: Soon to be new AC owner