Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need Brighter Head Lights.............

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Brighter Head Lights.............

Has anyone tried putting brighter bulbs in? I find the head lights suck on the 04 650. Or has anyone seen or heard of any aftermarket lights that will fit?

Old 05-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Ya, some people have complained about them. A few guys over at Arctic Chat have put in an extra headlight on the instrument pod. Looks pretty sweet and probably works great too. Might want to check that out.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Trailblazer

heard of 893s working in the cats might wanna take a look at them, I know they are a higher wattage but everyone that has them says that they are not finding any wires hot and the chargig system on them is up to the extra draw, just a thought, James

Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

I mess a little with Fieros. OK, how is that related???? On the latter models, like the 87-88's, they had a back lit PONTIAC between the tail lights. Some folks have put in brighter bulbs by swaping in higher watt units with the same base. Many of them end up melting the sockets. You could dig up the bulb vendors catalog with all the specs and try to hunt up a bulb with the same base and a similar volt and watt but a higher candle power output just to be safe. The sacrifice would be a little bulb life I believe.

Let me throw out an idea as an alternative. I made a light bar out of a 2x4, a set of Harbor Freight halogen fog lights, a switch, a Radio Shack project box, and a little bit of wire. I ran a decent gauge fused wire from the batt. up to the front rack (inside the body plastic, and ouhole one of the rack braces pass through) and terminated it with a 2-flat "trailer" connector from the auto section at Wal Mart. Make the female pole the Pos (+). Mount the switch in the project box, mount the box to the center of the 2x4. Out on either end of the 2x4 mount your lights. Run a common ground. Run the Pos (+) through the switch then split out to the lights. Use the other end of the trailer connector to attach to your wiring on the quad. I went to the local hardware and picked up some bolts with hooks, or a "J" on the end. Drill a couple of holes in the 2x4 along side a bar on your rack. Use the "J" ends of the bolts to hook under the rack bar to hold the entire thing on. Plug up the connector. Flip the switch. Up on your rack, and perhaps back a hair, will keep it out of harms way. I have been through tons of stuff with mine and have yet to hurt it. I shot the 2x4 with a little back paint to dress it up. I also used some cable staples and zip ties to budle the wiring. Best of all, when I want it off, a couple turns of 2 nuts, unplug it, its off.

Brent

Old 05-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

what are the 893 I put 50w on my high beam side and its not much better but am open to any sugestions cause I hate the lighting I feel it even a little dangerous

Old 05-20-2005, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

here is a link to where I read about the bulbs http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/ind...opic=14538&hl= it says they are only 37.5 but they claim they are about twice as bright as stockers (28) but they are talking silverstars a little pricey but I do like silverstars (what I have in my truck) might be something to consider. Take a look and see what you think, James

Old 05-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks I will try to get them and let u know how I made out