Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Cat 500 Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat 500 Q's

Hey guys have been looking at some diffrent quads now. Just wondering how you guys like your cats.
In the reviews it seems that they are the most liked. How do you compare yours with other makes?

Old 08-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Cat 500 Q's

I LOVE IT!! never any mechanical problems,just the normal wear and tear, cv boots,ball joints,bearings and so forth. ive got the 500I and its practicly unstoppable. just hit 2500 miles and still running strong. its taken me through lots of good times. arctic cat will always have my business.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default Cat 500 Q's

Six 500 I's in our family without any problems. We have a total of 13 Cat 4X4's in our family and we are all very happy with the great reliability and low low maintenance. You won't be sorry with a Cat.

Old 08-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Range Rover
Default Cat 500 Q's

Nothing personal against cat, as I bought a new one last year. I thought when I bought my 500 that it was a very good machine with good power and good ride. Out of curiosity a couple of weeks ago I decided to try out the Rincon and the King Quad. After driving the new King Quad, I made the deal and traded in my AC 500 auto with 500 miles for the King. To me, it was night and day difference between the King and my year old cat. My recommendation would be to try out all of the different brands and see what fits your riding style.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Cat 500 Q's

Originally posted by: 1tonchev
Nothing personal against cat, as I bought a new one last year. I thought when I bought my 500 that it was a very good machine with good power and good ride. Out of curiosity a couple of weeks ago I decided to try out the Rincon and the King Quad. After driving the new King Quad, I made the deal and traded in my AC 500 auto with 500 miles for the King. To me, it was night and day difference between the King and my year old cat. My recommendation would be to try out all of the different brands and see what fits your riding style.

You are comparing the two quads is like comparing a Corvette to a Geo. Not even the same worlds.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Range Rover
Default Cat 500 Q's

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: 1tonchev

You are comparing the two quads is like comparing a Corvette to a Geo. Not even the same worlds.
I wasn't referring to the power difference, I was referring to the handling and the ride. My old cat steered like an old Studebaker grain truck without powersteering compared to the King

Old 08-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cat 500 Q's

I agree with 1tonchev ! the cat is a good atv ... reliable and confortable, the king is easier to steer and faster.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Cat 500 Q's

This isn't a race car, it's an off road utility quad.

Old 08-09-2005, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Cat 500 Q's

I think what Bear is trying to communicate is that the quads are in different leagues.
For dependability, strength, durability and low end power - the Artic Cats are best of the best
The others mentioned here have their high points also - just not as broad of a brush when painting that bigger picture.

I have friends with KQ's - we pulled two quads 40 miles out of the woods last weekend. The KQ did it without overheating - just about everything else did.

The Honda is durabile and dependable. But it lacks in specs so badly that it shouldn't be in the same sentence with KQ or Cat.
I was on a winter ride - the two machines that were upside down were the two Rincons. Out of 18 machines nothing else flipped...
Many variables and not scientific - but noteable.

Depending on what you want to do with the machine - there are several "leagues". You need to choose the game you want to play before you pick the players....

Example - when I go into Grizzly bear terriotory in Montana I take my Cats. They can haul more, are more reliable and have the ground clearance and ability to not leave me stranded and bear bait. I towed the last Honda to the Summit. Thats been sold.

The Polaris on the other hand is my hell ride machine that will keep up with some of the faster quads in very rugged terrain. Not for the old or weak. Different game...

Old 08-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cat 500 Q's

I have 2,300 very hard miles on mine. It is ridden by lots of different drivers from my teen age nephews to my 60 year old Mom. Other than a very minor shifter adjustment that I took care of, I have had no problems what so ever. Last winter it sat in an un-heated shed for a month, and it started right up, on a day that was zero degrees (it won't however, start after sitting for weeks out in the -30, -40 below weather!!!). I know other guys complain of hard starting, cv boots tearing, axles, etc, but I haven't seen any of that. I have riden other wheelers that steer easier or ride smother, but none of those can do what mine is intended for.