Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

The Fix Is In....Mostly....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Fix Is In....Mostly....

Well amen! After a few weeks of bog-down, I called in the heavy garage artillery. My brother-in-law came out for a visit from Michigan and helped me wrench on the AC 400 today...What a relief. After essentially tearing the quad apart, the fix was a multi-level problem.

First, the vent line was improperly routed and was being pinched nearly shut by either the seat, or the airbox - we rerouted it - fine. Next we checked the belt - it's below spec, but not by much. Evidence of my first day are in the case, but it's far, far, from gone. Have any of you priced a V-belt replacement????... $217.00 + tax.... WOW!!!! Better start saving up for the inevitable....

As we prepared to pull the carb, (ultimately unessecary), we noticed an unusual amount of play in the cable after removing the cover on next to the carb. The throttle was only opening slightly more than 3/4 of the way!

This thing is running at about 90-95%. What a difference. It still lags a bit up hills, but it's acceptable. It felt great to be back in the woods and confident in my meachine.

I'm grateful to by bro-in-law. He had me do 100% of the work and I feel 85% more comfortable wrenching on my ATV now...
May start saving for a clutch kit, a new belt and an exhaust upgrade, but for now - bliss... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Plugs looked good
Gas Looked good
Runs A+ on the flats and B- on long hills....I give up, (for now), but I'm a happy camper again...

Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Keep at it Mark! Good to know you are learning a lot about her, that is key right there.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Massmark, for a belt you have 2 options, either Dayco, about 40$ cdn (have heard lots of bad things about them, but thats what I went with been great so far and over 150 miles on it) or carlisle about 85$ cdn also has an aftermarket one, The cat stock one is outrageously over priced I know, and I got about 2000 miles out of mine which for over 200$ I think is really poor, so the way I see it is if I get even 1 year out of a dayco, I can replace it 5-6 times and be paying for 1 stock belt,that didnt impress me much in the first place, but hoping for a 650 2 up so I can get one (want more power). I also have an epi clutch kit and drilled a hole at 1 oclock on the spring retainer on my clutch, now when the belt grabs it grabs hard.