Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

The Graphs Say it all

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to me, both engines with a kit put out roughly 17 HP. The auto just puts it out at the start and the manual at a higher speed. Now for the $10 question. Did they leave the manual in one gear or shift it? If not, it would seem to me to be about the same. Look at the auto chart, the first half looks just like the manual chart, up until the auto shifts up, losing torque. It is very informative, and does explain why a gear drive seems to eventually pass an auto.

Old 10-24-2000, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

this does show some interesting things, but it also disproves what you where trying prove, Boner. If you look at the graph of the man. its kept in the same gear the whole time, because if it was shifted you would be able to see spikes in the graph. The reason why the auto looks as if it comes on quicker in power because its always in the right gear. So if the auto is always in the right gear that meens you should be getting maximum performace from the enigine at all times. But then you look at the manual 500 graph its in the gear where it makes it maximum power at around 32-33mph and at the speed it puts out 3-4hp more the the auto at that speed. So either the autos clutch isnt tuned properly or the auto transmision soaks up to much power at the upper speeds. Just some food for thought
matty

Old 10-25-2000, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Well thats the way the rear wheel dyno was disigned to be used. In the top gear.

Old 10-25-2000, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

Boner?

Are we comparing AC to AC or Dynojet equipped AC's to Sportsman 500s? That's 6 variables. on the machines and 2 variables on the dyno charts. But.. back to your comparison.

The apples to oranges to pears comparison you are running here obviously qualifies you to be a contributing editor to Dirt Wheels or 4 Wheel Action!

I looked at the dyno chart for the manual trans AC 500 and looked at the difference in peak horsepower. 17.2 vs 16.8 HP the difference is .4 hoursepower a net gain of 2.4% is negligible.

If you had $97.60 in your pocket in coins and somebody handed you an extra $2.40 would you be able to tell the difference? I didn't think so.

Seat of the pants difference? With a totally different machine? Pleeeeeeeease. And a 2.4% difference at that. A 2.4% difference is not worth the time nor the investment in a dynojet kit.

P.S. They do not work on Honda 450 ES models either.

Old 10-25-2000, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

Boner the dyno is not designed to be tested in the high gear it doesnt matter what gear you are in. if you look the man. cat isnt in high gear I know the cat isnt the fastest by far but it will do more the 43mph in 5 gear.
matty

Old 10-25-2000, 08:04 PM
Range Rover

thor
you can feel that little bit of power. for instance I have Gti golf with the vr6 when I put a chip in it It was only rated to gain 5-9hp If I was lucky, but because it smoothed out the power curve so much that it made a world of difference. And I do believe that a jet kit usually cleens up the peaks and valleys in a engines power curve to. So i think it would be a good improvemnt. But that agian dpends on the engine you instal it on some respond better then others.
matty

Old 10-25-2000, 08:26 PM
Range Rover

well Boner i would like to correct myself. Maybe that cat was in 5 you cant tell because you dont know if they hit the rev limiter or they just let off the gas. but more then likely they hit the rev limiter wich would meen the cat wasnt in 5th
matty

Old 10-25-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Well I know the dyno( made by the same company) use on HOT Rod TV is like this, they put it in top gear and just nail the throttle to get the horsepower numbers. But since there is a wire that hooks up to a spark plug/coil wire it gives the mph and the rpms. According to Dynojet the ATV dyno is just a smaller Car dyno. So maybe they have the rpm #'s but just arn't posting them.

Old 10-25-2000, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

I only used the Sportsman 500 cause I have no experience with Arctic Cat/Suzuki jet kits. I must say that I know a former Suzuki 500 Manual shift owner that took his jet kit off cause the only noticable thing about it was a slower top speed.

Old 10-25-2000, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Cat will do better than 43mph, but thats probably about where the torque or hp curve drops off all to hell. Notice that the sportsman and grizzly probably taper off at a slower speed than you would think would be the top end.

Quick Reply: The Graphs Say it all