Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Aftermarket Spanner wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Spanner wrench?

I tried to use the factory spanner nut wrench this evening in order to tighten the rear springs and the wrench just twisted at the base? It seems that with my dog rig installed on the back rack and the dogs loaded, the rear end flattens out. I kind of expected this and am not too surprised. But I thought I'd try to go to the max setting on the rear springs and see if that helped before I looked at other options. Is there an aftermarket spanner wrench out there that is made of steel instead of that weak aluminum? Taking tension out was not a problem with the wrench on the front springs, but trying to tighten them was another matter. And I even lifted the quad up off the ground to let of weight of the machine, didn't help. Help me out Bear...........

Old 09-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: doggoneit
I tried to use the factory spanner nut wrench this evening in order to tighten the rear springs and the wrench just twisted at the base? It seems that with my dog rig installed on the back rack and the dogs loaded, the rear end flattens out. I kind of expected this and am not too surprised. But I thought I'd try to go to the max setting on the rear springs and see if that helped before I looked at other options. Is there an aftermarket spanner wrench out there that is made of steel instead of that weak aluminum? Taking tension out was not a problem with the wrench on the front springs, but trying to tighten them was another matter. And I even lifted the quad up off the ground to let of weight of the machine, didn't help. Help me out Bear...........
Very big Channel Locks work well, however the factory wrench will usually work (unless you are a gorrilla fisted cop, ex jarhead) if you jack up your quad and take the weight off the suspension does make the operation easier. Just use the Channel Lock pliers.

Old 09-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

Former Jarhead!.....you know there's no such thing as an "Ex" LMAO hehe
And after I posted last night, I searched the forum and found previous posts in regards to the factory wrench. Apparently I'm not the first to have bent one? And the responses were the same as yours, channel locks.
Will give them a try.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Snap-On Tools makes one that works realy nice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I am sure that Mac Tools would have one also.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

Had to take the rear tires off to get to the collar and lifted her up off the ground, sprayed the WD 40 on first and whipped out the King Kong Channel locks. Piece of Cake! Cranked them up to #5 setting. Haven't loaded her up yet to see how low she sinks, will do it later today.