Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

oops...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oops...

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud

Gone over bacwards myself - many broken bones - still not right. Good job on getting clear of the machine and saving your butt. Hardware comes and goes. Battle damage lasts forever.
AMEN Brother![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default oops...

WOW...! Congrats on bailing... you *obviously* did the right thing.

The scary part is that it's nearly identical to mine ('05 500 in olive, but I have an Auto). Good luck if you part it out. Some parts, like the wheels/tires and the winch, will be easy to sell.

-maule

Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default oops...

A motto to live by.....

Tis better to bail, and not to hurt..... than not to bail, and eat much dirt!

Old 12-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

Originally posted by: redwaterracing
I went up a hill that was a bit too steep, made it up to the crest and lost all momentum, started spinning the tires, then dropped into a rut. The thing that followed is a thing of horror. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Redwaterracing

Were you sitting on the seat or standing with your weight forward?

Shonk

Old 12-31-2005, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default oops...

Well, thanks everyone for your concern. I'm starting to realize how lucky I was to escape with just a little bruse.

Finally got some time to tear into it a bit. Found the frame is tweeked a bit just in front of the seat and one of the rear lower a-arm mounts is allmost torn clean off the frame. There's more pictures available with the plastics off on the site linked above.

But, with all of that, we got in touch with our dealer. ... After chatting with the service tech he went through his parts catalog and found what I needed. ... and to find out that they had much better prices than what i'd found on the online parts listings. So, looks like it'll see more trails in the future, hopefully rubber side down from here on out.

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for your support.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:09 AM
Quad Patrol
Default oops...

Glads things look like they are working out for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We went to Carnegie Tuesday and had a great time. Maybe after you get it up and running again, we can meet up and ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2006, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default oops...

Just thought I'd update you guys. I picked up my frame friday afternoon from my dealer and got to work. It took only about three hours to tear off all of the suspension and get the engine and differentials out of the old frame and mounted into the new frame. From there, everything went smooth. The only part that I found damaged that I wasn't expecting was the steering shaft, but with some pounding over a small section of railroad track that we have lying around, it was straitened back out again and re-installed.

Anyways, though... with just friday afternoon and most of sunday, it's back on it's wheels again and rolling. I took it for a couple of test spins down the court and back just before dark and it rides perfect. Just like new! Best part is, I didn't even have to re-do the alignment... Lol. Now, the only thing I'm missing is the front fender plastics that are on backorder. Sigh, oh well... At least it's not anything that important.

Anyways, I added a couple of quick photos to my gallery Here so take a look.

Oh, and rescuediver... Just let me know when you're heading out next and I'll try to make it out. Thanks, man!

Old 01-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

My brothers friend bought a new 2005 AC 500 last June. In early July he was taking it to the dealer to have carborator work done, machine had 34 miles on it. It was strapped down to his trailer and he was heading down the freeway towing it with his toyota pickup when a 34ft motorhome pulled out from an intersection and he t-boned the motorhome. He was traveling at about 60mph when he hit. The ATV tore loose from its straps, slammed into the tailgate, flipped over landed in the bed of the truck and slid into the back of the truck cab. He and his passenger (my brother) both survived and the toyota was a total wreck.

The ATV was totaled as well, he had insurance on the machine but it wasn't covered when towing only riding. He did not have towing insurance on his truck so it wasn't covered by that, if he hadn't threatend to sue for more $ in a settlement the motorhome's insurance would not have covered the ATV either. He is just gettig the machine back on the ground and running.

He told me he learned from this, that if you are towing your toys, make sure your car insurance will cover them OR your ATV insurance covers them, and he now uses chains to strap his bike down. Also, that he does't heal as fast as he used to.

Glad to hear you were not hurt seriously and that the macine is back and running. Remember its a cat it still has 8 more lives but you only get 1.

SJ

Old 01-30-2006, 07:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default oops...

ATVing is more dangerous than people think, especially if you can get killed by an ATV that is parked and strapped down!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default oops...

we had an atv fall off our trailer this past summer. one of the rachet straps that my buddy used was tearing but he is too cheap to buy new ones. thank god that it fell of after we exited the highway and were turning off the exit ramp. busy intersection but luckily no cars hit it. both racks were bent and the plstic all cracked but it was an older machine so some glue and a BFH (big fu**in hammer) had it back out on trails the next weekend! very lucky it didn't come off at 70 mph on the highway.

Quick Reply: oops...