Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Rack Box or Bag - Thoughts on which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack Box or Bag - Thoughts on which is better?

I want to get something to hold extra stuff on my rear rack, but don't know if I should get a hard box or a soft bag ? Obviously the bags are cheaper, but I don't know how well they'll hold up with sticks, water crossings, mud etc. I like the fact with AC boxes you can remove them easily with a pin when washing the atv, but they're also twice the price. Any feedback on durability, price, functionality? Anything?

Old 01-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Range Rover

try kolpins bucket holder, i have 2 , theyre great, hold 2 - 5 gallon pails[if you use lids on them youre waterproof]and theres still space in between. on one of mine ,made a 3/4" plywood tilting lid[2 bolts removable],most versatile atv containers ive looked at . when on sale you can get for as little as 50 bucks[got mine at natchez shooters supply]

Old 01-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

ive been looking into these as well and i have yet to have seen a water proof not water resistant soft box i think thats a must have but i wonder if it would stand up to ripping with twigs and branches but also the hard bob will it break under the same situation they both have pros and cons but interested to see peoples input as it will help me with the same decision

Old 01-15-2006, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

AC also has the Speed-Rack quick release mounting bracket kits which lets you use the feature on any box and for that matter on any rack bag is you put a piece of plastic in the bottom of the bag to mount the kit to. PN # 0436-625 $48.35 USD I put one on both a hard box and soft bag. I can now take either one or both for overnight camping or hunting trips. The best of both worlds.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

kaptap, we started out with a couple plastic tool boxes strapped to the rear racks. Then we got soft bags. We love 'em. Since they are not rigid, you can stick stuff in there that might be jussssst a bit too long or tall and still zip them up. But... our only real complaint is, being in the desert and all, they get real dusty and the zippers begin to not want to work properly (due, of course, to all the dust that gets caught up in them). We've soaped them, washed them, powder graphited them, and ingorned them (the last being the least effective[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]). You can see them on my picture page. The two front compartments (that are thickly insulated so that's where we put our blue ice and food) work fine, maybe because they're not in the flow of the dust cloud. It's the large rear compartment zipper that gets messed up. Pain in the butt, but we still love these bags.

As far as how they stand up to brush and tree limbs - no problems either. Deep mud and water crossings are pretty rare around here, as you might imagine. I'm sure if you sunk them into a river while crossing there'd be no such thing as "waterproof", but that's not a concern of ours.

So check out my pictures, then check out this link: http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/sh...4156&cat_id=28

Old 01-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Trailblazer

I bought this one @ Lowes and stuck it on the back rack. I think they also have them @ Walmart .

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...4BK&lpage=none

Old 01-16-2006, 01:39 PM
Range Rover

As far as how they stand up to brush and tree limbs - no problems either. Deep mud and water crossings are pretty rare around here, as you might imagine. I'm sure if you sunk them into a river while crossing there'd be no such thing as "waterproof", but that's not a concern of ours.

So check out my pictures, then check out this link: http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showProduct.php?id=4156&cat_id=28[/quote]

beg to differ,the 5 gallon pails have a tight fitting lid [snaps on]which is a low priced solution to that problem, totally water proof, and my bike carries four of them. have never needed more space than these afford and at 2.00 a piece[menards], they are a functionally and fiscally intelligent solution....

Old 01-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

My "waterproof" comment was directed at my soft bags, not any of the hard solutions. Your pails sound like a good idea, oper2nyst.

Old 01-16-2006, 03:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oper2nyst

So check out my pictures, then check out this link: http://www.4atvtires.com/atvTires/showProduct.php?id=4156&cat_id=28
beg to differ,the 5 gallon pails have a tight fitting lid [snaps on]which is a low priced solution to that problem, totally water proof, and my bike carries four of them. have never needed more space than these afford and at 2.00 a piece[menards], they are a functionally and fiscally intelligent solution....[/quote]

Mr. Tommy is right, nothing is truely water proof, even a multi billion $ nuke sub leaks. Water resistant yes, water proof no. Buckets won't hold my come-along or my shovel to name couple of items. Also I would need a lid removal tools with my shot to he!! fingers to open buckets and my wife would say they are ugly and won't have them on her machine and you aren't married if you don't think that counts. I bought my bags at Sportsman's Warehouse for $79 in a package deal that included the rack bag, a tank saddle bag, a double pouched fender bag and a pair of hand warmer sleeves that fit over the ends of the handle bars (and brake and throttle) and up your arms (they work in the cold and snow too) . You can see the rack bag, fender bag, saddle bag and rack box when they were on the 250 (now the wifes) in my pic's, #10 labeled "China Hat Sept 2004". Pic #6 and #7 show the tank bags better, I have a holster for my .41 Mag or my .44 Special attached to the back of the right hand tank bag, less weight on my belt and it is real easy to reach if a bear or whatever becomes a problem on the trail.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

bear, your wife would love them ,theyre turquoise...

Quick Reply: Rack Box or Bag - Thoughts on which is better?