Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

A few questions about the AC 500 auote.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about the AC 500 auote.........

My 500 weighs in at way over 900 pounds with all the gear and add-on MRP rackage. The wife and I will add another 400 pounds to that. It has enough power to climb a tree. We ride in challenging terrain and on the edge of mountain trails that would make many riders cry. I have seen different tires make a difference in handling but for low speed trail riding the stock tires are impressive enough for traction. In fact I've gone places where quads with 589's have put CHAINS on to go where I went with my stock carlisle tires. There is no perfect tread or tire outside of rigging for a specific use. Its all variables in real life as the seasons change from spring mud to dry summer sand and then wet leaves and then snow. At least thats the cycle here. Sounds like I'd have to have 4 sets of tires to have the "right" ones.

Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

whodatindamud,
i wish i was near you so i could let you try the xtr radials. the tire works great in all conditions. its the only tire you will need. Im sure anyone else who has tried them will tell you the same thing especially in stock size tire. you go bigger and they get wider and to heavy for all uses.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 265 and the 500 has plenty of power to haul me and the old lady around. We ride some pretty nasty trails with no power issue. The only thing I changed was to put on BearClaw tires. Much better than the stock badlands.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

I think it is the added weight of larger tires that contribute to wear and tear on the machine. I spent some time measuring the actual size of tires prior to purchasing my first set of 26 inch mudlites. I discovered that with about 5 psi the 26 inch mudlites were about 1/4inch larger that the stock tires at the same psi. I found myself always changing the psi depending on terrain and traction anyway. Now I never checked the weight, but I assume the 26inch mudlites weighed more than the 25inch stock tires. These tires were excellent, until they met an early demise when some moron decided to take a knife to the sidewalls of my tires on both machines.

I have since purchased a new set of 26inch mudlites and I am looking for a different tire for the TRV that has stiffer sidewalls because of the amount of towing I do with it. I have a custom tandem axle trailer that is large enough that it has been used to rescue a few ATV's that have died along the trail. Stock tires towed it very well except every now and then I would just spin all 4 right in trying to move the trailer. When I put the mudlites on the TRV you barely new the trailer was there.

The 500 will carry much more weight than it is rated for. But, make sure if you do, you look at where you plan to go and what you plan to do, so it can still be done safely. I think the weight limits they put on them are way conservative for a safety reason. (and due to the sue happy nature of society today you can't blame them)

SJ

Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the 500 TRV in a 05. I am 6'4 and 300. this machine can pull me and my wife at 55 mph. A 500 will give you no trouble with power.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Smokinthebear
The 500 is quite adequate but the H1 is all over top of it in sheer power, but the 500 has enough to do anything you want it to do. I would stay away from the v-twin as the kawi belt is just not in the same league as the duramatic is.
amen,you got that right.............the belt??

Old 02-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Oversized tires (larger than stock diameters) equal less reliablity and preformance. Every time and forever with the limited horsepower available with a quad engine. These do not have the excess power like cars and trucks do (just how often have you ever driven your car at WOT to it's max available speed? I have, but then I've had a lot of hours in the 120 to 160mph zone) and bigger tires change your final drive ratio for the worse and stress the drive train. Go wider and more aggressive tread pattern if you will, but don't go bigger than stock diameter.
guys listen to him,because he knows exactly whats he's talking about,bigger tires do nothing but cause you headaches on down the road...............................

Old 02-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

Guys,

I have a 500.. That is far from stk..Bigger tires.. Lift kit.. Motor work.. Piped/camed/clutched/locked frt end (650diff) and let me tell you with the add ons i have on it... I can wheelie it..(i'm not a wheelie person) But with all the weight i have on it... It's pretty impressive.... I also have a duel wheel kit for it... I put my bike to the limits... (ask Hoopie) will tell you.... And it still goes for me... My 03-only has 606 miles on it.. But i take real good care of it.... It has been a great bike for me.....

http://photos.yahoo.com/slazman23

Mark