Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New AC 500 Man

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2000, 12:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been lurking around this forum for awhile now. After careful consideration and reading the posts in this group I decided on an 2001 AC 500
manual. I picked it up this Sat and got to try it out on Sun. And so far I love it. Lots of power and a nice ride. Transmission is a little stiff but it's still brand new and I expect it to loosen up as I go along. I got it with a warn winch and Moose Country plow. I'd like to thank you guys for the valuable input. It really helped me make a difficult decision as all the machines out there seem pretty good. I'm taking it out again tomorrow for another workout. Can't wait till the break in period is over. Then I'll get to see what it can really do.

Peace,

Old 11-07-2000, 02:01 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the Arctic Cat family of happy ATVer's. I think that as time goes by you'll enjoy your Cat more and more. So, ride safe, have fun and I hope you won't have to use that plow much this winter.

Old 11-07-2000, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It seems there is a new AC owner in this forum every few days now. Maybe they are catching on. Good luck with your new 500. I figure you will really like it.

I'd have to say that a good way to attract attention is to build a solid product. Then, eventually, word will get around and people who want something that will last will come looking in that direction.

Or you could do like Polaris. Build crap for 10 years, but make it crap that is fast and fun to ride. Also make it easy to operate, and build a massive line of models to appeal to every type of rider. By the time you get the bugs worked out, you will have a faithfull following constructed already.

Seems like AC is trying to do what Honda did in the 80's. Build solid stuff that lasts. If thats the case and it does last, then 10 years from now, AC may have a decent market share.

Old 11-07-2000, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

GuitPicker:
I'm also looking closely at the 2001 AC 500 manual. Glad to hear you're happy so far. I'd appreciate if you'd keep us posted as you continue to try it out. Have you read the other thread on the 3-wheelin' front diff issue? I'd sure be grateful if you get a chance to try the 3-wheel block test and also check out the 2wd/3wd/4wd front diff adjustment issue and let us know what you find out. If its possible to over-adjust the diff into a 4wd-lock mode and then drive it off the blocks with 3 wheels in the air, I think that would sell me on this machine right there. Thanks, and have fun riding!
YukonRon

Old 11-07-2000, 10:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried the 3 tires in the air and one front one on the ground. It pulled it off the blocks when I tapped the brakes. It could have been just a fluke and I haven't had the time to try it again yet. I'll let you know when I get a chance to try it again. Honestly I have been amazed the places it will go in only 2 wheel drive. A couple of times I thought I'd have to put it in 4 wheel drive but it just walked right through in 2 wheel. The stock tires seem really good. I'm really impressed so far.

Guit,