Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change

What kind of oil do you guys use. I just changed my oil and used the arctic cat 10w-40. Eventually I would like to switch to the same weight oil only in systhetic. Does arctic cat make a 10w-40 in synthetic?

Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default oil change

Originally posted by: sevenmag
What kind of oil do you guys use. I just changed my oil and used the arctic cat 10w-40. Eventually I would like to switch to the same weight oil only in systhetic. Does arctic cat make a 10w-40 in synthetic?
Yes, I use the synthetic after it is broken in, works good. There are other good ones out there too, but to me buying the Arctic Cat stuff is just the easiest. Good luck! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default oil change

Yes, I use the synthetic after it is broken in, works good.

just to clarify:

Myth:
You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.

Reality:
You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Aston Martin

Bentley Amage and Bentley GT

Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS

Chevrolet Corvette

Dodge Viper

Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles

Mercedes SLR

Mitsubishi EVO

Pontiac GTO

All Porsche vehicles

One of the myths that surrounds synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

I'm not pushing Mobile 1, just happens to be where I found the myth. good luck.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default oil change

Originally posted by: zerowick
Yes, I use the synthetic after it is broken in, works good.

just to clarify:

Myth:
You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.

Reality:
You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Aston Martin

Bentley Amage and Bentley GT

Cadillac CTS, XLR, SRX and STS

Chevrolet Corvette

Dodge Viper

Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles

Mercedes SLR

Mitsubishi EVO

Pontiac GTO

All Porsche vehicles

One of the myths that surrounds synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

I'm not pushing Mobile 1, just happens to be where I found the myth. good luck.
I agree with Catterman, but the Cats come from the factory with the dino in them and AC recommend that if you go synthetic do it at your 100 mile oil change. If you think about it it makes sense. Cheaper for them to install the dino oil at the factory and use that to the 100 mile point, then go synthetic I also us Arctic Cats synthetic, only I buy the kit with filter and the gallon of oil in it, it's just easier. BTW, I check the AC synthetic oil container and it reads "contains Petroleum distiliates", so it sounds like the AC synthetic is a blended oil and not a pure synthetic.

Old 02-23-2006, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default oil change

There Are Four Different Types of Motor Oil Base Stocks

We know that basestock composition has a significant effect on the overall performance of motor oil. There are four different types of base stock used in the motor oil market today.
Group 1 - Conventional - Mineral oil derived from crude oil
Group 2 - Hydroprocessed - Highly refined mineral oil
Group 3 – Severe hydroprocessed - Ultra refined mineral oil
Group 4 – Full synthetics (chemically derived) - Chemically built Polyalphaolefins (PAO).

As it infers Groups 1 – 3 basestocks are derived from crude oil pumped from the ground whereas Group 4 basestocks are chemically derived, most often from ethylene gas, and contain none of the contaminants present in mineral oils. Just as distilled water is pure water derived from gas so Group 4 basestocks are pure oils derived from gas.

that was also from the Mobil site.

unfortunately oil companies can label their Group 3 oils as "synthetic". both Mobile 1 and Amsoil synthetic use Group 4 basestock making them pure synthetic oils. if it doesn't say Group 4 or PAO on the label it probably isn't full synthetic. that's not to say dino oil isn't a good product, I know of a few vehicles with over 200k miles that never saw a drop of synthetic. I just want people to know what they are buying, if you are gonna spend the extra money for synthetic you may as well be getting a full synthetic, otherwise save your money and stick with the dino stuff. I use this stuff if anybody cares, (never works when I try to make a link so you gotta copy and paste), https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aff.aspx.