Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

06 500 vs. 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006 | 02:30 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 500 vs. 400

I am looking at purchasing 2 new 2006 A.C. ATV’s. One is for me and the other for my girlfriend. We are looking at using them for trail rides, medium work around the yard, camping trips and over all “weekend away” trips. The girlfriend has pretty much decided that she wants a 400 auto. I’m still up in the air about a 400 or 500 manual for myself. I realize that one is air cooled and the other liquid and obviously a little over 100 cc difference. My questions to all of you forum members, are:

1- What are the actual top speeds of both (after break in) on open trails?

2- Pros/cons to each

3- I realize that they are both rated to tow the same, but what is their actual respective towing abilities/highlights/downfalls?

Old 03-19-2006 | 02:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default 06 500 vs. 400

Welcome...

I'll try to answer some of your questions...

# 1- get the 500 manual High and low reverse more power mods to be had for it...
400 great for the wife... Go over to www.arcticchat.com and people over there can answer you questions as well..

Mark

Old 03-19-2006 | 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 06 500 vs. 400

Same basic machines, one with a 376cc motor and one with a 493cc motor, you do the math as to whether you want to over 50mph on 5 psi tires or not. What Muddedprairie says about the hi/low reverse applies also as the 400 only has high reverse (about as stupid as you can get fo a utility quad).

Old 03-23-2006 | 04:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 06 500 vs. 400

*Edited by ATV Connection Moderator*

Old 03-23-2006 | 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default 06 500 vs. 400

Topace4,

First off, welcome to the forum.

I have a 500 auto TRV and a 400 manual. As far as top speeds go the 500 is only slightly faster if you like that sort of thing. It does burn more fuel but I am not sure its due to being an auto or that its a larger motor.

That being said, I can tow, pull, haul just about anything with either. But, I prefer the TRV for plowing as its slightly heavier and the extra power is sometimes noticeable plowing the heavy wet snow.

I have about 4000 miles on each most of which has been towing or hauling over different terrain for most of those miles. Sometimes way more than its rated for, you just have to be careful over what kind of terrain you try to do that on. I think AC's limits are well on the safe side.

As far as ground clearence, towing capacities, suspension travel, these two are the exact same. If the cost difference isn't too high I'd say go with the 500. I see quite a few posts for people who buy a 400 (in any brand) for whatever reason and then they spend lots of time and $ doing Mod's to get more power. I see it this way, if you have a 400 and want more power, get a 500. If you have a 500 and want more power get a 650. If you have a 650 and want more power get ...a 700? When I bought my machines the price difference was about $800 between a 400 and a 500. I am sure its more now, but $800 in mod's goes fast when looking at aftermarket parts.

Also if your girlfriend or you have never ridden an ATV much, (or even if you have) most manufacturers including AC offer a discount on the price or a rebate check when you take an approved ATV riding safety class. It was about 6hrs with our machines on an obstacle course that was a lot of fun. My wife and I did that when we bought ours and it really improved her confidence in riding. Made the first riding experiences on our own much more enjoyable for me and her and really sold her on these machines. Plus, if the machines are new see if you can get the dealer to give you some helmets for safety. Some dealers will, some won't.

Hope this helps, and safe riding.

SJ