Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Clicking noise while turning

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise while turning

Hi All,

I am having a real problem figuring out a clicking noise. I drive my quad to work every day and when I turn on pavement there is a distinct clicking noise. Sounds like it is coming from the back end. I thought it might be CV joints but they seem okay. I took it into the dealership last year and they told me my tranny was gone, replaced everything (warrantee....I think it was BS but that is another story) and it made absolutely no difference at all. So I took it back and then was told that noise is perfectly normal. I think he said it was the Diff clicking. I thought the rear diff was a solid unit? I use the machine to go on VERY VERY remote trips so I am anxious to figure this one out.

Does anyone else's machine click while turning on hard surfaces?

Old 04-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do your differentials have a positraction type set up? with my front limited slip diff, after a fluid change, I noticed a clicking when turning hard. Turned out to be the plates in a limited slip will grab and chatter if you don't use a GL-5 rated lube, and an additive for limited slip clutches. I got some at an auto parts store and put an ounce in with the new fluid, the additve conditions the plates and keeps it working properly, no more noise. If yours is a similar set up, you may need a fluid change and the limited slip additive.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Your rear end is locked (there is no spidergears or posi-traction assembly) and that means the wheel need to turn at the same speed. When turning they can't and everything is stressed and there will be noise on pavement. In dirt, sand, gravel or on grass the tires can slip fairly easy. The noises you hear aren't there other than on pavement, because your machine wasn't built to run on pavement. It is wearing the tires very fast too.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Trailblazer

Two questions then:

1. What would cause the rear end to click if it is solid?
2. Does anyone else notice a noise while turning on hard surfaces like packed trails?

Old 05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

could you have a nail, or rock bedded into your tire(s) ?

Old 05-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NWThunting
Two questions then:

1. What would cause the rear end to click if it is solid?
2. Does anyone else notice a noise while turning on hard surfaces like packed trails?
I would bet it is your CV joints popping as the stress increases, then the tire slips finally and the CV jumps to no stress and right back to being stressed. It's making noise because it is hard on things.