Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 arctic cat 400i 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 arctic cat 400i 4x4

i found a good deal on a 04 400i 4x4 and i dont know much about it. can someone tell me if this is a good quad. is it dependable? whats the top speed? whats the best tire set up for such a machine?..........any response would be greatly apreciated

Old 05-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

Good quad should be very dependable.
Top speed on my '03 is around 50 if you
are concerned about speed this is not a
good choice.For tires stick with 25's it does
not have the power to turn larger ones.

hope this helps

Old 05-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have an '05 400i 4X4 (pretty much the same) and I have found it capable of going pretty much where anybody elses machine will (and places I shouldn't and won't anymore). Mine tops out at 54 speedo and 52 GPS. If top speed is what you are about, don't get it. Maintenance wise it had a couple of minor problems from the factory (linkage nuts not tightened) but all fixed under warranty. But over all it is a great machine and will serve you well, but a sport quad it isn't (going fast on a ute is stupid anyway IMHO).

Old 06-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Bear,even though you didn't say if it is an auto or manual tranny as i have an 06' ac 400 fis auto belt driven chutch i only have 144 miles on mine so far. But it has more power and speed than i can hande in the places i ride mostly rocky mt trails and power line right of way's. And some dirt road's where you can gun it 1/4 mile or less ! And my ac isn't broken in yet, from everything i've read on these forum's it doesn't even start to open up to full power untill 300 to 500 miles to be broken in. I've followed my manual to the letter about the breakin period, don't engauge locker while moving don't go over ten miles per hour with diff locker engauged ( don't know if 04' comes with locker) but Bear would know about that, and i haven't went over half troddle yet, but i was riding behind my brother on his 02 honda 350 rancher fulltime 4x4 and his 96' Yamaha (with new 05' engine) 350 fulltime 4x4 up some very steep hill's both dirt and asfault i let him get 4 or 5 lenths ahead of me then i gunned it half throddle was on his tail fast. He told me later he was wide open on both his honda and Yamaha at the time ! I had to hold on real tight, it felt like my hands were going slip off the grip's the first time i did this. So if it get's even more power after break'in' it should feel like a rocket on takeoff ! Now i don't know what top end speed will be, but if it hit's 50 that will be faster than i'll ride it even on the straight dirt road's for sure ! And one other thing my dealer told me i would love the auto's because of no shifting gear's and since they started selling the ac 400 auto's in 2001 not one had been brought back with belt or chutch issues ! When i started looking at the cats i wanted to go with maual tranny, dealer said i'd like the auto better because i'm a bilateral amputee, i lost both leg's just below the knee's trying to help a friend push his car out of the road when he ran out of gas march 2nd 1975 another car came up from behind at a high rate of speed, catch me between the bumper's cut them off on the sceen and 2 compound fracture's in both femure's 3 day's in ICU, three week's in traction and 13 month's in body cast from my knee's to my chest. And took 3 month's after cast was removed before i could sit up straight in bed allmost killed me ! 2 yrs more before i could drive a car again and i had to use hand control's to drive an autombile even with an automatic transmission. That's why i thought i would try the auto on this quad, because on my first quads 86' honda trx350 foreman and 93' suzuki 300 KQ were manual trannies and i had to weld on hand shifter's to ride them. I loved to fish and hunt, i couldn't get to good hunting and fishing spot'sanymore untill i got my first atv, now i can get to place's i couldn't go when i had my leg's ; i don't know what i'd do if it weren't for these quad's Sorry for the long post, i just started an couldn't stop untill i explained the reason i even considered a belt driven clutch atv ! The ole Devil tryed to kill me , but GOD said it wasn't my time to go and he had many more thing's for me to do GOD Bless to each and everyone............................williebee !!!!!