Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Tri-Cat project coming together

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 05:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I now have my 27x12x12 Tri-Claw Magnums mounted on 12x7 ITP steel sliver wheels all the way around on my Tri-Cat. I installed the front spacers and since they were so hard to install on my lug stud hubs of my 1999 model I decided to trade in the rear spacers for a High Lifter kit.

Well, Jason(shipping manager) thought I had a new bike and shipped me the newer model lift kit so I have to send it back with my rear spacers tomorrow after the sticker(to put on the return box) gets here.

So I should be able to lift my Cat tomorrow.

Today I snorkeled my carb vent lines (2 of them) and took the free play out of my throttle, BIG DIFFERENCE.

I can get to an indicated 50 mph in about 300 ft WITH MY CLAWS ON, it tops out at about 50 mph. But I think the 16 psi in my claws has something to do with that, speedometer is off by about 10 mph I bet.

When I get to the 50 mph mark I stayed there till my neighbor's drive way and I hauled my cat from it's top speed in about 100 ft with 2700 MILE OLD brakes.

I have new brake pads in my room, when I install the lift kit the brakes are going on. So I will tell you guys the difference.

ps. About my carb vents. what I did was atach them to the carb then ran the lines in the crack of the gas tank and the side panel of my cat. I did the left side first and cut it off at the tank to make sure I would have enought for the right side. I ran the right side in the same spot but bad about 2 foot extra so I coiled it up and used a bread tie to tie it to my handle bar mounted gun rack. I will see about getting some more for the left side and redoing it like the right side.

Old 11-22-2000, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Boner as somebody that knows about this subject, I wouldn't put that lift kit on my machine. In fact I took mine off. The spacers is your best bet, even with the lift the wide tires will rub on your muffler without the spacers. If you want to lift your machine try using the method that Cowboy is using on his sounds better than the lift you are about to buy. Just trying to save you money and more money and breakdowns later.
Larry

Old 11-23-2000, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

I thank you for the warning, but I am FULL aware of the chance and I accept them. I will live with the expense of the repairs for the performance.

I plan on doing the High Lifter heat fighter kit, High Lifter Arctic Cat light kit/daylight kit, Performance kit, High Lift kit, Spring spacer lift kit(in the rear ATLEAST), LOCKER, mounting dual winches(rule 3300 and supercrap 1500), getting some more factory wheels to mount 28" Outlaws to(maybe carbon fiber in the WAYYYY far future), and maybe more.

Old 11-23-2000, 01:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I must say you are not one to be bothered by a stiff ride if you run 16lbs. of air. Mine felt like a log truck with 9lbs. in them, and I only knew that because thats what was in them after I got them back from being mounted.

On the other hand, I don't see how you can tell any difference in speed by taking the free play out of your throttle cable. It doesn't give it any more throttle, it just lessens or greatens the ammount of space between when the throttle starts to hit.

If you will look when you adjust it, if it has more free play, it also will go out farther. You can tell by looking at how close the stopper thing comes to the throttle limiter screw (the one that you can adjust so youngsters can't peg the throttle as far). With more free play, it comes closer to touching the screw. With the free play out, it doens't come near as close.

I can, however, see where this would make a change if you had so much free play in it that it made contact with the limiter screw back there, but not if it originally didn't.

I've messed around with mine a bit before. I keep all the free play out because it gives me a lot better throttle control for hillclimbs. A lot easier to feather the throttle when you know exactly when its going to hit. Like having a high clutch in a car.

Boner, I will say this, I bet your speedo is a lot closer to reality now with the 27" tires. Mine says about 54 and the GPS says 52. It was way off with the stockers.

Old 11-23-2000, 05:25 AM
Pro Rider

Well with such a soft seat, the ride isn't that bad on most surfaces. O asphalt I can take my hands off the bars and see how much the tires vibrate cause the handle bars vibrate too(I bet my g/f will love that next time she rides with me).

NO offense to you older guys, But I think my younger body has alittle to do with it also. I have noticed how some people talk about being sour after riding all day long and stuff but I have never been sour or tired from riding except for one time. That one time was cause I was jumping ALL OVER MY BIKE, shaking the handle bars, going back and forward for 5-10 min. straight trying to make it threw a 75ft long mud pit that was about floorboard deep with thick mud.
I made it tho.

About my throttle, I have my throttle limiter set so that I have never hit the rev limiter, so maybe now that I have less free play I am opening up the throttle more fully(ps-- I moved the adjustment about 3/8 of an inch so there was a lot of freeplay before).

I reved it out in 4th gear today and it hit 45 mph before I shifted to 5th-- but it gets to 50 alot faster if I shift to 5th earlier, like 38-42 mph.

Where I ride there isn't realy enought forest to get lost in, so I have no need for spending 150- what ever on something when I could be putting a power kit on my cat. So you will see no GPS top speed test with my name on them unless someone lets me borrow one.

PS. I can get my front end to water wheelie now if I stand on the back rack and squat down. I get it going in 2nd gear low range and it does about 10 mph on the speedo. Being able to wheelie the front end has saved me from drowning it where I was riding in a rack deep canal then I hit a 1.5-2 ft deep rut.

The water came over the rear rack, fenders, and half the seat and the front end was wheelieing nice and high so I didn't suck water into my intake.

Old 11-24-2000, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

Boner, I hope you plan to post some new pics with your upgrades on your photo site. I'd love to see some with the big 'claws before and after the lift kit.

Sounds like you've got a money tree growin' in your back yard. I can't seem to find one that grows up here

Old 11-24-2000, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

Well my freind stoped by the other day and he was impressed by how much bigger it looked by just adding the spacers. I can't wait to mount the Lift kit when THE RIGHT ONE gets here Monday.

No money tree here, I just have patients when it comes to saving for parts. I saved for about 9-10 months for my rule winch. When I got my tires/wheels I ran into alot of money cause I stayed on a job for about 1 month and I saved 960 bucks there.

Old 11-24-2000, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

Boner:
I'd like to see some new pics too, if you get a chance! Also, let me know what you think of that heat fighter kit, if you get it. I've noticed that with the 'Claws mounted up, and towing stuff, she gets a little warmer. Not hot by any means, just warmer than with the stockers on. I've been thinking about getting the heat shield tape stuff for this summer, when it's 100+ degrees out-that might be too hot.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 11-25-2000, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well I took 4 pictures of my quad after I installed my spacers. I have 20 left on the roll. I'll take some pictures of my Snorkeled carb vent lines, lift kit, and other stuff I guess. I'll get those pictures asap.

I know people who have tried the Heat Fighter kit and noticed a BIG difference. ONe grizzly owner Noticed (I think) a 40 degree drop(he used an inferred thremometer) in head temperaturer, so I think with the liquid cooling additive I should have even more heat dropage. Then I have a few custom things I will be tring in the future, But untill I try them personally I will keep shut about them.