Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Front Locks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Locks?

I'm in the market for a new atv, a real good chance it will be a AC. I'm wondering about the front diff locks? Any information on them would be great... Eg- turning radius, problems engaging... I will be doing a lot of hunting with the new machine I will be buying, deer & moose, therefore I want something that won't give me troubles out in the sticks.

You guys have been a great help so far with all knowledge being posted, thanks

Springer

Old 06-05-2006, 06:48 AM
Trailblazer
Default Front Locks?

The new ones with the locker are very nice.. Not really hearing of any problems out of them. Once in awhile you will have to adjust the cable. I installed the 04-650 diff in my 03-500 and i now have the same locker set up as the new ones.. Great feature.

MArk

Old 06-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Locks?

I bought a 06' ac 400 auto fis TRV feb. 7th 2006 i've only got 145 miles on it so far the locker works great for me manual says don't go over ten mph with locker engauged and it's make's steering harder when engauged. But it'll climb a tree if you can hold onr.It takes more room turning around and i like the toggle switch for 2x4/4x4 shifting, with the 500 you can get manual shift and liquid cooling. I never thought i'd ever buy an auto because of the belt driven clutch, but i've known the dealer since she was 4 yrs old; She's what most would call a tom boy won her first motocross championship at the age of 4, then went on to nascar racing a few yrs Madenform was her sponser! she told me that since 2001 when she started selling the 400 auto's with suzuki engine setup they haven't had any brought back in with belt/clutch problems. And as for liquid cooling just seem's like something else to worry about ! I ran it through a creek with water over the floorboards and in one spot water came up to the bottom of the headlights i only got that deep 2 times but my belt didn't get wet. my previous quads were an 86' Honda TRX 350 foreman full time 4x4 and a 93' suzuki KQ 300 they were both manual shift. I sold the Honda and then the KQ to my brother and his wife they ride everyday ! I thought the Honda was a big Quad untill i got the ac the handlebars on the Honda come up just below the headlights of the ac. ! The 400 auto dosen't get as good gas mileage as the manual does, but it has a larger fuel tank 6.5 gallons so i don't have to carry an extra gas can with me.....Another thing the Cat is wider and longer making it hard to get through narrow trails and between tree's in the wood's ! But so far i can get through all the places that i ride, i like my ac more everytime i ride it. Didn't mean to make such a long post, just take a test ride then get what you like the best................williebee

Old 06-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default Front Locks?

Glad your happy with the quad... Don't worry about the long post.. As were all here to tell our stories weather there long or short... I love my cat... My next ATV is going to be another CAT!

MArk

Old 06-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Front Locks?

Thanks for the replies.

I plan on purchasing a 500 auto because of the liquid cool unit. I have researched these manufactures to death but I have difficult time finding stuff related to AC. I have had suzuki dirt bikes and AC sleds basically my whole life and well I'm finding it difficult to look else where. I do have an 84 Big Red 250cc but my kidneys can't take the punishment anymore!

I know of someone who's a dealer with Polaris and he told me if I buy a CAT I'LL OWN IT. What he meant was it will be difficult to sell it later on. Funny thing is I rarely see used AC for sale compared to other units. I guess a typical dealer.

SO if anyone has good and bad things to say about 500 auto's let me know please. I'm having a difficult time deciding between Bomb's & Polaris. CAT is still in my book a superior unit and is winning the race with me. It's hard to spend almost $10,000 on a unit with out talking with people like you guy's. Please more info....

Springer

Old 06-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Front Locks?

Originally posted by: springer2000
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on purchasing a 500 auto because of the liquid cool unit. I have researched these manufactures to death but I have difficult time finding stuff related to AC. I have had suzuki dirt bikes and AC sleds basically my whole life and well I'm finding it difficult to look else where. I do have an 84 Big Red 250cc but my kidneys can't take the punishment anymore!

I know of someone who's a dealer with Polaris and he told me if I buy a CAT I'LL OWN IT. What he meant was it will be difficult to sell it later on. Funny thing is I rarely see used AC for sale compared to other units. I guess a typical dealer.

SO if anyone has good and bad things to say about 500 auto's let me know please. I'm having a difficult time deciding between Bomb's & Polaris. CAT is still in my book a superior unit and is winning the race with me. It's hard to spend almost $10,000 on a unit with out talking with people like you guy's. Please more info....

Springer
Maybe it is because I live in Minnesota, but around here used Cat ATV sell better then anything else. The 500 is an awesome unit, but might I also suggest you look at the H1. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was just about to get the 500 then I saw the H1 and the rest is history! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But, the 500 is as solid as they come. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Front Locks?

The Cat is a top seller in the midwest. They had their 6th consecutive record ATV sales this year!! The diff lock on the new cats is amazing! I have the V2, which is only available on 06 and earlier models, but a power house! Like catterman said, look at the H1. It has superb low end pulling power, and combine that with the diff lock, your unstoppable. The 500 wont be near 10,000 dollars. I paid 7300 for my 650V2. If you are able to pay the extra bucks for a bigger than 500 quad, get the H1 or V2. Otherwise, the 500 is a great all around quad.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default Front Locks?

The 06 H1 only came with the LE package, Bumpers and fancy wheel. The 07 H1 will not come with all of those options so the price point should be better.

The impression I am getting is that the 07 H1 will be priced pretty close to the 500 so you may want to see what the dealers have to say when they get back from Mexico. From what I can tell they must be having a proetty good time down there because the information is not flowing back too fast....

Also 07s come with a three year warrenty - so that should address any quality questions that people have.

I think I will own a 500 or H1 next week.......

Old 06-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Front Locks?

Yeah, AC and Bom are the only ones who ever offered a 3yr warranty.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Front Locks?

My brother has a AC500 I think an 03. He loves it. He beats the tar out of it and it has never given him a problem. He lives in PA and plows with it all winter. He even leaves it outside year around and sometimes has to use a hair dryer to warm up the cables just to get it started, but it always starts. He does wish he had a locker though. But you don't have to worry about that with the 06's. Good luck... I have a three year warranty on my Polaris (Free).

Quick Reply: Front Locks?