Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Design flaw...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Design flaw...

Not too sure to call it a design flaw or perhaps "lack of better design". In any case, here's a "heads up" that may help other AC (or other brand) owners...

I have a 2002 AC 500i. Went out riding the other night. Only a little 2 hour ride on smooth to the odd bumpy path ride. Nothing out of the norm. At the end of the drive, drove it on my Utility Trailer, turned off the engine, reached down to turn the gas valve off and guess what, "it's dial **** was gone". It vibrated off during this 2 hour period. Luckily, we weren't in the middle of the trails and I had to turn this valve to "R" position.

I called my local AC dealer and as I was describing the problem, I could hear him chuckle. He knew exactly what I was talking about. Replacement dial for $2.12 and a replacement screw for 25 cents. He told me this is the 3rd AC this month that had the same problem. The screw vibrates loose, it vibrates off and the plastic gas dial falls off. He suggested I use "lock tight" on the new screw and it should be "good for life".

If you have an AC with a plastic gas valve dial, you may want to proactively remove it, add some "lock tight" juice and put its screw back on. Thus, eliminating the hassle of driving to your AC dealer, for $2.40 replacement parts. Or, being stuck on the trails and can't turn this valve to "R" - to get back to your trailer.

Hope this helps others....

Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design flaw...

Not a new issue and a little Loc-tite on the screw and the shaft of the valve makes the problem disappear.

Old 08-02-2006, 06:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Design flaw...

Still, that is the first I have heard of it. It bears a look see regardless of brand, thanks Spike99.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Design flaw...

Yup, this happened to my 2004 400 as well! I found my **** and just needed a screw (no sexual smart azz remarks please [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]).

Lock tight worked great on it, I used the blue. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Design flaw...

Not just AC cause my 05 Yamaha kodiak did the same thing. This time it got lock tite and no more problems.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Design flaw...

it happend to me on my 03 500...

Old 08-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Design flaw...

Happend to my 360 too.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Design flaw...

you guys actually turn the gas off on your wheelers? and well i had 2 AC's with that turn *** and i guess i never had any problem but i will deffinately loktite it if i ever get another one with it. thanx for the heads up i never heard of this before. i guess you think that people who have had this happen before such as ohhhh CATTERMAN would have posted something about this earlier [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Design flaw...

Yes, I turn the gas valve OFF every time its parked in my garage or when it might be sitting more then 10 minutes on the trail - while having a snack. When we trailer it, its gas valve is definately turned off.

While ordering the $2.40 part, I asked if leaving the GAS valve in the ON position would be a problem (until the part came in). He said if the ATV is parked and "sitting still", turning the gas off isn't mandatory. It's optional. But if trailing, my AC dealer does recommend the gas valve be turned OFF.

Regardless, sure would be a pain if doing a long trip with no spare can and one runs out of gas. Reach down to turn to "R" and guess what, you can't. I know, pull out the vise grips. But if you didn't have those, it sure would be a few @#$@#$ words said.

If wondering, I didn't turn the gas valve off on my son's mini-ATV in the past. Turned it on its side to take a few digital pictures of its running boards. Went on my computer, uploaded the pictures and came back into the garage 30 minutes later. In that short of time, his mini's stuck float must have dumped 1 gallon of gas on our cement floor. Good thing I came out then. It would have dumped its entire 2 gallon tank in another hour.

From then on, I always turn our ATV gas valves to their OFF position. Especially while parked in our attached garage. And especially while being trailered.

This Saturday AM, its going to cost me more in gas to drive to my AC dealer, then its $2.40 part. What a waste of gas (and travel time) for such an inexpensive mandatory part.

Glad I helped a few with this "proactive" heads up....

Old 08-04-2006, 03:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Design flaw...

Spike, I agree with the gas being turned off when not in use. I trailered from sea level to 5500 feet to start a ride one time years ago and the valve had been left on. As it turned out the vent was plugged (the damn bug) and the sucker was some kind of flooded. There was so much fuel in the cylinder the motor wouldn't turn over until the compression release was depressed. From then on the valve is off if I'm not gonna be running the thing shortly. FYI, I have never had to use the reserve feature and I always carry a set of tools that include a pair of pliers.

Quick Reply: Design flaw...