Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat Bottom of The Heap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat Bottom of The Heap?

Good afternoon,

I did something out of the ordinary (fo me)- I made a large purchase without researching it first.

A couple months ago (out of pure desire) I strolled into my local ATV dealer (Yamaha, Kawa & Arctic Cat) and after looking over the machines and tooling around the parking lot on them, I purchased an AC 400 4x4 LE for a competive price.

Now, that I am doing a little reasearch I notice that in every comparo test I read online the Arctic always finnishes last or next to it.

I am starting to think that I made a bad choice.

I am happy with my machine and use it about equally for hunting, chores, and trail riding- but judging from the reviews, it appears I could have done better buying a diffrent brand.

To put it simply, is there a reason (baring the obvious) why Arctic always fares so poorly in comparo tests?

I am happy with my unit, but in the back of my head I'm thinking "I could have done better."

Old 10-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

What sources are you going on, or what reviews are you reading. I think you could find an equal number of reviews that put AC above some of the others and vice versa.

Main thing is that you are happy and it hasnt let you down. They have been in business longer than I have been alive and that means quite a bit to me.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer

most of the time those people running the comparisons put alot of emphasis on who goes the fastest and not too much else. they should do all their tests way up in the mountains, i would love to see them go 70 mph down some of those trails where you really show who is top dog.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

My experience with my Arctic Cat is it is absolutely one of the best all around ATV's, period. WE have been on every type of trail, mountain, flat lands, muddy, rocky-extreme, it performs as well or better than any other brand. It isn't the fasest, doesn't corner the best at speed, but it will do what it is intended to and that is haul my big rear anywhere I want to go and do it with a high degree of comfort. Bought it the last week of May, now have close to 1,300 miles. We just got back yesterday from Evarts Ky. after riding 80 miles of very extreme trails. We climbed rocks taller than our quads. The Cat was simply awesome. Went through a mud hole that was up to my knees, not a problem. Forget the reviews and enjoy your Cat. By the way, I also own two Yamaha Kodiaks, both very good quads, I prefer the Cat.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also would like to know where you get your info. AC won the Championship this year in the quad terrain challenge. So in reality, they were on TOP of the competition[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also be aware that some of the people or organizations doing the rating have a vested interest in which machine comes in first or near the top. Sponsorships could equal high ratings.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

I think you'd be better off trusting your own personal experience. I own a Honda as well as an Arctic Cat and my old bike will go through much tougher holes and take alot more abuse than my wife's. Mine doesn't have overheating issues like my wife's and I really haven't had much trouble out of mine in seven years, other than just recently. Even that was caused by my own neglect. I've owned Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda and Arctic Cat. You can take my word that you didn't make a bad decision.

By the way, V2, while mine was in the shop, I went ahead and put some new tires on it. I went with a set of those Swamplites you talked so good about. Haven't had a chance to test them out good yet though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2006, 07:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: v2rider
I also would like to know where you get your info. AC won the Championship this year in the quad terrain challenge. So in reality, they were on TOP of the competition[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

ATV Rider Test

Another...

Farm Test

Old 10-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

Saskabush,

This question is difficult to answer without "brand bashing". However, from the reviews I have seen guys do on TV or read in magezines (yes, I can read!) it is clearly obvious that they are partial to "this" brand or "that" brand. In fact, I think you can clearly tell that no matter how the other ATV's perform their brand is better. (some owners are this way too)

If you look further into the tests they use to review the ATV's you can see this as well. I think of a review as some "paid" persons opinion (i.e. an advertisement) . AND we all know what opinions are worth sometimes.

That said, MY OPINION (yes, I am unpaid) an AC 400 is no speed demon. Tops out at around 45mph and struggles to get to get from 45mph to 50mph if the conditions are right. But, with 10-12inches of ground clearence, drop her into LOW range (which some other brands do not have) and you will see the AC 400 crawl through and over a lot of crap with ease. So not much top speed but lots of low end grunt. The only negative thing I can think of about my AC 400 is that it does not have a low range reverse.

I have owned older suzuki's and honda's. Both performed well for me for what I used them for. But, my AC has been doing the same jobs with less effort. I also have a friend that has a Yamaha as he uses it the same as I do. His and my only difficulty occurs when you have to back up in slop. However, going forward quite often my AC in LOW range will perform better.

I also refer to AC as a utility-sport vehicle NOT a sport-utility vehicle as others do.

Hope this helps. Oh, if it is working for you and you like it, you made a good buy. You also need a good 800-1000miles or so to wake the 400 engine up. Get it broke in and enjoy.

SJ

Old 10-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

saskabush , Your right the ac 400 is definetly not the best quad out there, but if you like it like you say -sooo what. I had a ac 400 back in 2000 and it wasnt the fastest or the best ,but it never broke down and I sure had fun on it , If you want something better or faster afterwards sell it and buy something bigger or better.I know people who would never buy another cat and people who would not buy anything but another cat , I have owned honda, cat ,kawi,and yami and have had fun on eveyone of them ,enjoy it til you out grow it . Then Get another one , good luck!!!

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat Bottom of The Heap?