Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires

took my new 06 H1 on first ice fishing trip last week. First real use of the machine for anything other than driving gravel roads.

I got a flat.... Pumped it back up and it held air rest of trip and is still ok. Assume a bead leak?

I have read lots of bad reports about the stock tires. I really do not want to spend $$ on new tires. I bought chains for pulling fish house and plowing and really do not see much need for me to have more aggressive tires.

My question is are the carlisle tires that bad or should this just be expected from an ATV? I really do not hear much about tires going flat from others I know.

I do not want to deal with another flat on my next trip. Nor do I want to invest $$ in tires.

Suggestions?

BTW this machine has the fancy wheels - does this contribute to bead breaking???

Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default tires

I put over 2100 miles on my stock tires and had one flat. A blackberry thorn no less. I suspect your flat was due to the temp change and the tire pressure getting lower. Check the air pressure in your other tires and see how low they are. I suggest you put Slime in your tires. Since I did, I haven't had a problem and I've got a couple of rims that are so badly bent they shouldn't hold air, but do.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Range Rover
Default tires

alot of people dont like stock tires (me includid) but the carlise are better then some? mabey the trick is running more air presure? i run 11 pds and have never had a problem.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default tires

I am not sure what year AC switched but I know most of the older complaints are from the Dunlop tires. Could be others there as well.

I know my tires seem to loose a little pressure when the machine sits on the ice all day while I ice fish.

SJ

Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

When you say "put slime in your tire do you mean breaking the beads and putting some sort of adhesive on the bead or just spraying a can of stop leak in them?

I considered the stop leak option put doesn't that screw up valve stems???

Old 12-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

what do you think about the higher air pressure???

If the issue is tire wear and softness of ride - I really do not care. These tire will rot before I get enough miles on them to wear them out.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default tires

Originally posted by: buyingATVToday
When you say "put slime in your tire do you mean breaking the beads and putting some sort of adhesive on the bead or just spraying a can of stop leak in them?

I considered the stop leak option put doesn't that screw up valve stems???
Slime goes in thur the valve stem and coats the inside of the tire. Instructions are on the containers. It stops most leaks and plug holes up to 1/4". I use nothing on the beads of my tires except to keep them clean and smooth.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default tires

Originally posted by: buyingATVToday
what do you think about the higher air pressure???

If the issue is tire wear and softness of ride - I really do not care. These tire will rot before I get enough miles on them to wear them out.

I have never run more that 5psi in my tires and never had a problem.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default tires

Those crappy Carlise tires do not fit good with the aluminum rims. I get flats all the time when the temps change, as do other H1 owners I have talked to. The slime might work, I have never tried it. Also, I run about 8-9 psi in my tires now, helps the ride out. I am saving up for new tires, but other things keep coming up. That happens when you have a wife, a toddler, and a baby on the way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-08-2006, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default tires

so do you think it is the tires or the rims?

I guess one way or the other I should try the slime....

Anyone had the carlisle tires on steel rims with success?

Quick Reply: tires