Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Just got a new 2006 500 4X4. What should I know

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a new 2006 500 4X4. What should I know

Hey Guys,

First post here and I just bought a new 2006 Artic Cat 500 4x4 Auto. I would like to hear any suggetions on what to watch out for and any tips and tricks. I will only be using it for hunting and putting in food plots for deer. We have a tractor so it won't have to do much real heavy work just pulling a medium size cultipacker. I am not in to racing or mud *******. But there is always some mud and water in the woods.

Thanks for all the help.

Ranchdog58

Old 02-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

I own the same machine, and it will do the things you want plus a whole lot more. It climbs like a billy goat and the 12" ground clearance will have you going over things that others have to go around. Be sure you are in low range if you are pulling or pushing things. Some have said they feel a little bit of a tippy feeling and have had the sway bar installed. I found that if you are used to a large utility its easier and cheaper to just shift your weight. I like the 10" of suspension travel and do not want to sacrifice any of the ride comfort but installing a sway bar. Then again alot of Cat riders like them, so it is a matter of preference. With the side boards I have stood with both feet on one side and done some serious side angles on steep hills. I run my front shocks three clicks up and the rear two clicks up. The steel factory rims will ding pretty easily on the rocks so I would recommend the ITP series 5 rock crusher rims. The Carlisle Badland tires are decent and worth keeping until the tread wears, then I would recommend ITP mudlite xtr's. I will stay with a 25" tire as there is not a major difference going to the 26". I speak from past experience on three other utility quads. Alot of people go with a 26 or 27 to get more ground clearance but the Cat has 12" already which is plenty. It will pull 1050lbs so hauling a trailer is a non issue and you could throw a 200 lb deer on the back rack. You have a good solid machine. It will not go as fast as some others but I've had it up to 57mph which is way faster than I care to be going on a trail. Remember that it's a work horse and it's also a great trail rider as well. They are for the most part maintenance free as long as you change the fluids at the recommended intervals. It should give you many years of enjoyment.

06 500fis auto
ITP rock crusher rims
2.5 Warn winch
60" Eagle snow plow

Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Sat4314,

Good advice there. Anyone else.

RD

Old 02-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer

Go to the Arctic Chat forum. It is a dedicated Cat forum. You will get alot more info and feedback. Again its Arctic "chat", not to be confused with "cat". Just Google and enter Arctic Chat. It's all about the pride...........

Old 02-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

You don't have some problems as older AC owners because your center of gravity is lower because of the fuel take location etc. However if you feel as though the machine is not handling the way that you would like then try these settings.

Front tire pressure up around 8 or 9 lbs, rear tire pressure 5 or 6 lbs.
Front spring preload on softest setting and the rear spring preload on either 2 or 3 toward stiff.
If you want to make the center of gravity more close to the vertical center then add 1" wheel spacers on all 4 corners. This will also make you more confident on off camber turns and traversing across an incline by having a 2 inch wider wheel base and making the machine a little more stable and not so suseptable to roll or lean. And when it does lean then the transfer of weight is not going to be projected to the outside of the wheel but more closely to the middle or inside thereby forcing more camber into the wheel and not having it go negative camber on you and rolling under the machine so to speak which is a hair raising experience to say the least. 1.5 inch wheel spacers are also available. I use 1 inch and seem to do fine with them. I can dirt-track around turns similar to solid rear axles and machines with a lower clearance and center of gravity. I have actually passed an Eiger in the turns and for a utility vehicle it is hard to beat an Eiger in faster turns.
You will never make a Raptor out of it but you can improve the sport riding charateristics and have a little fun too.

Other than that you have made an excellent choice in machines.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Be very careful powering up hills, which might have an exposed rock, or lip at the crest. These machines will come over as did my 2006, 500 FIS. They are heavy and damage is almost certain if they come back down without the rider.

I really like my 500; however, I'm still replacing parts in an attempt to right the injuries it incurred on it's 20 foot trip back down a small hill without me on it.

Happy and safe riding....