Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Questions About My New 400 LE

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007 | 10:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Questions About My New 400 LE

I am now an arctic cat owner. I just purchased a used (nearly new) 2005 arctic cat 400 LE 4x4. I picked it up today, it had 23 miles on it when I got it. It just got our of the shop, it had sat in the garage for so long that the choke went bad. Don't ask me how? It now has a new choke.

I was out riding it today and it seems to be idlling a little funny. At first it would not stay running without giving it gas, but now it runs but the idle is a little off. Anyone have knowledge on how to adjust the idle. I found what I think is the idle adjustment, but it does not seem to change it much.

Also, it is putting off a little black smoke when it is running. Not noticeable unless you really look. What would be causing this? I checked the oil and it is fine. Like I said it is not even broke in yet.

It rides fine. It is not as easy to manuever in the tight woods as my old scrambler was. It takes a little more effort to get around in the tight stuff. I think it has pretty good power. It is not going to win any drag races but it is very controlable power. Who needs to go 70 on a utility quad anyway. I used to have a raptor, which had plenty of power. In the woods and trails it would get you in trouble in a hurry if you were not careful.

I am new to owning arctic cats, so is there anything I should look out for?
I have the stock foam air filter, which looks like a pretty good set up. Is it ok or should I go with a K&N?

I will give a little better review of this quad after I put some more time in on it.

Thanks,

Arctic Cat
400 4x4 LE

Old 03-03-2007 | 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Well you can try a couple things.

Change the oil, also you might want to add a little fuel injector cleaner to your gas and you might try putting one half or one ounce of Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in with every gallon of gas, and put a new spark plug in and make sure it has the correct gap as the gap on your spark plug will change your timing.. The injector cleaner will clean any gunk that may have built up in your fuel system while being stored. The Marvel Mystery Oil will help keep your fuel system clean and will aid in breaking up carbon build up in the combustion chamber, and will keep the top end of your engine lubricated, clean and will help with better valve seating and keep the top of the cylnder lubricated. I have used this stuff for years in everything from my cars, trucks to outboards, to lawnmowers and never have had any top end problems ever. Follow the directions on the can or if you are not comfortable with that then cut the mixture some. You won'l loose any power at all. If anything it may increase the power by keeping the top end clean and lubricated and by offering a better seal on the rings and a better seat on the valves and carbon won't stick to the top of your piston. To me this is just as important as running a good quality oil such as Amsoil in the engine, and maybe more so.

The idle control is on the back side of the carb with a 3 inch flexable cable and a **** on the end.

Assuming you have the stock tires etc. Try these settings.

Front tire pressure 8 or 9 lbs
Rear tire pressure 5 or 6 lbs

Front preload on the springs to the softest setting
Rear preload on the second or middle setting.

These settings help eliminate tire roll and you can get a little sport out of it... It is no raptor but you may be able to slide the rear a little and lift the inside front tire coming out of at turn. At least I can on my 400FIS

If it seems too tall and tippy you can add 1" spacers to each wheel and that will give you some extra stability and build your confidence in off camber situations or crossing a sloap. It will also bring your vertical center closer to the inside of your tire instead of on the outside and force some camber into the outside front as the weight is being transfered to that tire under fast conering. A set of 4 is around $160.00 or so.

Good luck!!! Go Arctic Cat - yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2007 | 02:19 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the Info. What weight of oil should I use when I change the oil? Should I buy the arctic cat oil or just go down to autozone and buy some amsoil? Also, is arctic cat the only place that I can get the oil filter?

Where do you get Marvel Mistery oil? Is it anything like seafoam?

Thanks

Old 03-04-2007 | 02:46 AM
Trailblazer

it may be like like seafoam but, i know many prefer the seafoam in the tank!
u can check out the the "arctic chat " website for better info.

Old 03-04-2007 | 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

You can get Marvel Mystery Oil at Wal-Mart or any automotive or possibly hardware store. I don't know what seafoam is so I can't comment.

I use Arctic Cat Synthetic oil in my machine. The choice is personal but try to stay with the guidelines in your manual. What ever oil you use, try to get one that is designed for high rev and high temp engines, like oil designed for motorcycles and I think you will have better luck.

If you want some good info on oil then visit the Amsoil web sight and they have some good articles that give good insight to oil. I think the biggest thing with all oil companies is that they are designed to have a certain balance and NOT to use aditives with oil or you disrupt the balance.

This is a personal thing but I don't use a big range is the viscosity. In other words I would use a 20-40 but not 10-40, or a 30-50 but not 20-50, and 10-30 but not 5-30... This is just a personal thing... I think wth synthetic I could stretch this like I possibly would use a 5-40 synthetic.

Motor oil doesn't break down it is the aditives that are in the oil that stop working, like clensing agents etc. As a general rule I change oil based on the color more than time or mileage. Basically any oil will keep lubricating but it is the contaminants that is picked up by the aditives that can cause the problems. So when the oil starts to turn above a light brown I change it. This is why oil can be recycled... They take the additives out and the contaminants out and re-add their additives and you have new oil again.

Oh, when your engine is puffing a little black I think that there is not a real major problem it is just a rich mixture. Not that the carb needs to be adjusted it means that some gas is not being burned and that could possibly be a simple spark plug change with the correct gap.

If it were puffing a blue or white smoke I think I would be more concerned. In your case it could be that once you have a few more miles on it then the problem may lessen as the engine gets broken in.

With your 400 you will notice a big difference once the engine is broken in and the first service is done and the valves re-adjusted.

Good luck...

Old 03-04-2007 | 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

try tearing the carb apart and cleaning it a jet or something might be gummed up from having gas sit in it for a while

Old 03-04-2007 | 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

sea foam all the way the stuff works excellant just fill your tank and add half a can or so or add it until you smell it out of your exhaust.and i recomend using it every other tank just to prevent any other carb issues

Old 03-04-2007 | 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Seafoam, and Amsoil. The two best things you can do for your machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-04-2007 | 08:51 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the help. The carb has been cleaned.

It is now running and idling fine. I think it just needed to be ridden.

Is it too early to change to synthetic oil? Or does that even matter?

Old 03-04-2007 | 08:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would switch at about 10hrs. Have fun!!

Quick Reply: Questions About My New 400 LE