Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

MINNESOTA RIDERS: SPIDER LAKE CLOSED

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MINNESOTA RIDERS: SPIDER LAKE CLOSED

I just looked at the DNR website, and it was JUST updated, and the whole damn forest id closed!!! WTF!? Im calling first thing in the morning to find out whats going on. Will update tomorrow

Old 03-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could just be the trails are closed until May 1st, if I remember correctly, that's when most public land opens up to riding, this might also be to keep the trail damage to a minimum, the top is very sloppy right now, and the trails could be really torn up with even light traffic. Spider Lake gets a lot of negative press this time of year, when over eager riders go in, leave big muddy ruts, then the papers come in, take pictures and go on a tirade of the evils of ATV riding. It would be best for all of us to wait until the frost is out and the ground firms up a bit.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I go to Spider Lake every year, for about 14 yrs now. The ATV trails are usually open all year round. This is the first time ive seen the website say the Forest is closed. Usually it says the trails are closed to OHVs, until April 1st, or until further notice. This time it says "as of March 20th, the Forest will be closed."

Old 03-20-2007, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Talk about suckage.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I couldn't wait any longer for v2 to get back on here and explain, so I called them myself.

Apparently the trails close every spring for an undetermined amount of time. They close when everything gets wet enough where atv's will pretty much rip up all the trails and roads. They will open the trails back up when they feel it has dried out enough to protect the terrain. So unless we get a week and a half of nice sunny weather, I think we can bank on the Mar 31 trip being either rescheduled or moved to another location.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, your right. I called also, and the lady chuckled when i asked if it would be open April 1st. She said, "i highly doubt it". So, how about Ripley trails?

Old 03-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Ripley is quite a bit closer for me even though I am not 100% positive that I can make it yet. . =D I assume you already checked trail status there.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Its open on the 1st! Sh*t!

Chumley, im closer to Ripley also. Refresh my memory as to were you live. I might just have to do a day "Ditch Ride". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: v2rider

Chumley, im closer to Ripley also. Refresh my memory as to were you live. I might just have to do a day "Ditch Ride". [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
he lives in northern mn..................well but not by international falls if that is how u spell it

Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider

I don't live in Northern MN at all...

I live just South of Alexandria, MN. Lot's of ditches around here plus my buddy has a few trails through his woods and some very nice places to mud.

Quick Reply: MINNESOTA RIDERS: SPIDER LAKE CLOSED