Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

03 400 tire rubbing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 400 tire rubbing problem

We took our 03 400 out this weekend and after a mild 12 mile ride we noticed the left front tire had all the inner most lugs of the 26x10 mudlight on stock wheel was chewed up some on the edge and a rub mark all around the tire at the mid tire point. It also showed paint wear on the bottom of the shock and looks like the pre load adjuster did the chewing, any thoughts on how the tire could get close enough to do this ? Sitting there there is plenty of clearance. bearings are tight with no play, but shock bushings have play. The strange thing is these went 100 miles with no rubbing only changes were to put the preload up 2 notches. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oledad
We took our 03 400 out this weekend and after a mild 12 mile ride we noticed the left front tire had all the inner most lugs of the 26x10 mudlight on stock wheel was chewed up some on the edge and a rub mark all around the tire at the mid tire point. It also showed paint wear on the bottom of the shock and looks like the pre load adjuster did the chewing, any thoughts on how the tire could get close enough to do this ? Sitting there there is plenty of clearance. bearings are tight with no play, but shock bushings have play. The strange thing is these went 100 miles with no rubbing only changes were to put the preload up 2 notches. Thanks for any help.
I have not had any tire rub but you may consider putting on some wheel spacers. I put 1 inch spacers on all 4 wheels and the machine is extremely stable with them plus in your situation it would help with the tire rubbing problem. Plus it makes your machine look pretty neat too - lol....

Old 04-24-2007, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

I don't understand why you would get any rub at all, with 26" you only are 1/2 inch on any side of the axle (radius)..., maybe it is the 10 inch wide on the front...

Old 04-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Range Rover

wheels are stock, tire is 10"wide by 26" tall,

Old 04-24-2007, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

wheels are stock, tire is 10"wide by 26" tall,
Yes, but the AC has plenty of room in the wheel-well area. At least I feel they do. You might want to check into some wheel spacers, I have 1 inch spacers on mine, not for clearance purposes but to have a wider stance and gain some stability, and they add to the articulation giving even more wheel travel. It is a wider arc for the swing on the wheel travel.

Any way you may have to put some spacers on, to take care of your delema, either that a lift kit, of the two I would prefer the spacers. A lift kit will also raise your center of gravity. The spacers actually lower the center of gravity, while still maintaining the same clearance, and in the process makes your machine more stable and less tippy, also softens the suspension for the small bumps and lets you get the full travel of your suspension easier. To me a plus and a win win win situation. In the real world I have not had a problem with the 50 inch width.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

oledad,

I am wondering if taking the springs up a couple of notches stiffened the suspension enough tht when cornering the tire now rolls onthe rim and make contact with the lower end of the shock?

THe other thing I am wondering is of it is sitting on level ground with the tires facing forward are the tires tilted inward at the top?

The stock tires are prone to roll on the rims due to weak sidewalls.

SJ

Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Range Rover

It could be tire roll, I did lower tire pressure to 4 lbs, but the weird thing is it went 100 miles before that with zero tire rubb. Going to check it out good this weekend.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you got a stick or something caught in there for a while that caused the rub marks.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:19 AM
HR
Range Rover

wheel bearing maybe? upper lower ball joints? that would be my guess.

HR.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

I checked it out, when turned full lock to right, tire rubs shock adjuster , only part worn out is lower shock bushing. I ordered new bushings and a set of 1 inch wheel spacers from high lifter. That should fix her right up.

Quick Reply: 03 400 tire rubbing problem