Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turbo

got a 91 300zx twin turbo layin around,gona put it in my 04 400

Old 05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default twin turbo

Originally posted by: ChatterMan
got a 91 300zx twin turbo layin around,gona put it in my 04 400
Does it run off the exhaust? That is a pretty big tubo isn't it. What are your plans to channel it for a single cylinder? Is there enough room to get in there? Are you going to have to cut and weld? Is your 400 compression low enough? 400's have pretty high compression. That should give your 400 some 'gitty-up' for sure. From reality that would be something to see...

Old 05-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default twin turbo

All turbo's are exhaust powered, gear or belt driven is a supercharger.

If you are for real, (because a 300zx turbo on a 400cc ATV doesn't seem real well thought out) then I think you will have heat issues with that turbo'd 400. Compressing air creates heat, and you are dealing with an air/oil cooled motor that won't be able to handle it.

In theory alone though, that would be sooooo cool.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 AM
HR
Range Rover
Default twin turbo

ok a 300zx? car turbo? are you crazy? or do you know what your doing?
for one your little single cylinder 400 doesn't move enough air to spool up that big of a turbo, the turbo lag would be horrible, but you can get a new turbine for it. are you that good of a welder and fabricater to make the exhaust mount for it? are you going to add a rad for the cooling line of the turbo along WITH the oil cooler? that seems like alot of work on a 400 that has no rad. the turbo should be water and oil cooled.
as for it being twin turbo... HA HA HA... sell it on E-bay and get on older RX7 turbo. that is your best bet to have your little 400 ba able to spool it up.
how are you going to make the boost controler? just a brass valve? a jet? what about the blow off/ bypass valve? i'dd love to see how you think your going to do this. i've built ALOT of cool things but this would be great if you think you know how to do it.
give me some answers. and i'll help you more....

HR.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default twin turbo

Even though your idea is so cool, a turbo is an on demand boost with a lot of complicated mechanics to deal with - do you think a nitrous kit would be easier and yeild the same results?

Old 05-05-2007, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider
Default twin turbo

Turbo would be more expensive, but definitely the better choice IMHO. The short bursts of power from nitrous can't compare to the (almost) always there power from a turbo. Even though a turbo 400 is a left field idea, ATV's plus turbo's...mmm...oh yeah. I wish I had the know-how to make it happen on my 650.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:42 AM
HR
Range Rover
Default twin turbo

Well i do know there is a small turbo out there for atv's i've seen them. one was a turbo'ed raptor 660. that was kinda sweet. but if he ever got the tires to hook up then it just stood on it's *** end.
it's not as hard as it may sound. you need some pipeing for inlet to the turbo. and some piping to the exhaust. and of corse a blow off valve. and a way to measure the amount of boost, boost controler. witch can be a carberater jet at the end of a vacume hose that bleeds off a certian amout of psi to the wast gate. diferant jet size = diferant boost amounts. in looking at my 06 500, if i didn't have a winch a could build a turbo kit and install it there. routing the pluming is the hardest part. you need a way to rout the water and oil cooler lines to and from the turbo. and the air inlet and outlet tubes. a decent tube bender witch i have for building my jeep. and a good welder and a grinder it could be done...
i would thing all you wold need to get a major gain in power would be under 4psi. boost. if he huilt the engine low compression you could up. buy why? these little 4 strokers dont have the vlave trane to keep up with a turboed engine. not to mention the new oil he'd have to run.

i guess if one could find a turbo small enough, like for a street bike, older bobcat, older toyota diesal pickups, any thing with a realy small engine. so you would have to put new turbine in for better spool times.

if one used say a car turbo, by the time you had enought rps and air movment to spool it up right it would be a wast. you'dd run out of rpms. but if you put a diferant turbine in it you could get it to spool up rather quick. say 2500 rpms. all the way to 6-7000 that would be worth it.. but then your looking at to much money for my income. excluding the price of the turbo i would bet you could get it done for about .... under 200$, including hose fittings. pipe, cuting, welding, brackets, bolts. new back tires... one trip to the ER cause you had to many beers installing it then decited to test drive it at 1:00 am half lit.... so maybe 2 grand... LOL..

i think i might try and build one.. i built a death qaud once.. Yamaha FZR 600 in an LT250 frame.. that was SWEET!!!! not a single banshee could touch it... but that rapter sure gave me a run for my money. i think i'll build one of these and we'll see how long the belt lastes.

HR.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default twin turbo

You can pick up turbo's small enough for motorcycles for about $300, I imagine that same turbo would work just fine for an ATV. If you want a really nice turbo get an Aerodyne, as far as I know it is the only turbo that is self lubiricating so you don't need to run any oil lines. It spins up fast (half by 1000 rpm, and full by 2200), and kicks *** in general.

Just to clarify, the Aerodyne is definitely not the $300 turbo I first mentioned.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default twin turbo

I put a turbo on my prowler h1 and now I need some valve adjustment specs .