Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Winch Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch Question

I searched a little and didn't see much for my question. I will apologize right of the bat if this has been covered alot already. I own an 07 400 auto 4x4 and am looking at getting a winch. I know Warn would be the best one to get, but not in the question budget wise. Now going a different route here, I do lots of offroading in my trucks and have a Milemarker 12k winch and it works great. I found they do make ATV winches 2500lb one and its priced in my budget - $144. Anyone use on of these before? Now I see all these offbrand ones on ebay but am very leary at trying on those.

Also I don't need a winch mounting plate do I? From what I see the holes are already there and just need to bolt up the winch. Correct me if I am wrong....

Thanks

Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winch Question

Say- while on the subject of winches- how hard is it to install one on a Cat? The wiring and all...........

Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Winch Question

I have a Venom winch from Ebay, over a year and a half and zero trouble with it.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Winch Question

Gorilla is another good brand, they have a headquarters here in Minnesota and use local guys for testing. Thanks to that Gorilla now offers sealed winches, at a great price. I have only owend Warn, but my next one will probably be a Gorilla.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Range Rover
Default Winch Question

Well 4wheel parts had 10% off and it included winches plus free shipping - order a 2500lb MM winch - should be here a day or after turkey day. I'll let ya all know how it works out.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Winch Question

The venom 3000 is a good cheap winch. I have had one for two years & 0 troubles. I've drownded it froze it & beet the !#~!#! out of it & it just keeps working. I paid with shipping $128.00. The remote & mounting plate (wich is not needed) & bolts came with. Real simple to install, took about 2 hrs.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default Winch Question

You should be able to get a roller head and a winch mounting plate for your machine. From there you might want to look at how the winch you purchase wires into the harness. The AC warn winches just plug tight in. Other off brands may need to be spliced into the harness. This is OK if its done correctly and the connections are sealed with silicone.

SJ

Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winch Question

I'm not sure what kind it is, but i've seen some witha remote to control the winch. Most of the time this would not be needed, but it would come in handy. Although i'm sure this would be out of your budget. And for installation, when i bought mine the dealersaid bolting on the winch is only four bolts, but the wiring can be a lttle more detailed. I'm sure you could do it but have the dealership do it is just one more thing you don't have to worr about.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Range Rover
Default Winch Question

I am on my 4th winch in 4 years. First I had a warn 2000 lb. then a Milemarker 2500 lb., then a 2000 lb. cheap brand I never heard of before. I burnt up the warn and milemarker after a year and the cheap brand started having an electrical problem and would only go one way after about a year. The warranty covered it in the cheap one and I got a free brand new replacement.
I dont think it matters what brand you get they all seem the same to me, the warranty is whats important.

All 3 different types of winches I have had, had different mounting holes. I have a mounting plate which was purchased to go with a warn winch for my quad. I drilled new holes into it so that I could use the same mounting plate with the other 2 winches. Your quad may have holes for a winch to bolt to without a mounting plate(I dont know mine didnt) but id imagine you would have to buy whatever brand winch is sold at the dealership for the holes to match up.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Winch Question

Thanks for all the comments......

Yeah there is mounting holes for a winch already on my quad - and I checked MM and Warn mounting dimensions and they are the exact same so they should line up (hopefully). Can't believe there is more wiring then a normal truck winch - oh well don't look too bad though. Nice too cause MM has a 2 year warranty. Has anyone else noticed the Warn 2500 is being discontinued? I looked on their site and it stated "discontinued"....