Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Should I buy a Cat??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a Cat??

I've been looking at every maker under the sun with the Grizzly being my preferred machine but I haven't been able to strike an acceptable deal. Today, I stumbled upon the 650 TRV at Gander Mountain and the deal I was offered was pretty good.

Just wondering how satisfied those of you that already own these machines are? Can you give me any pointers on them, likes, dislikes, etc.???

Thanks in advance for any reponses....

Old 11-18-2007, 10:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ive never had a problem with my AC. You would love it!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Ground clearance is excellent and you gotta love that diff lock. Power is where it needs to be, it is a great bike

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa- the 650's have a diff loc........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Trailblazer

Ya there is a lever that you can switch while stopped and then all four wheels will spin all the time, it is pretty sweet. I havn't tried it in too severe situations yet but i am sure that i will test it to the max.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It works better than most, as there is no lever or anything to hold. You just flip the lever and your in 4x4 locked mode. I believe its on all the models, not just the 650

Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

I put about 3,500 miles on a '04 650 V2 over three years (quite a bit of which was with my wife on back). In the mean time, we bought a '05 500 TRV for my wife. We have liked the TRV well enough that I upgraded to an '07 650 H1 TRV just before Memorial Day this year. I have put about 1,000 miles on the TRV now and am very happy with it. I prefer the longer wheelbase even for riding single. I put ITP 14" wheels with TerraCross tires and changed the shocks and springs to the std. ones to get the additional 2" of clearance and travel. About the only thing I could think of to make me look at another upgrade would be to completely wear this one out or AC will need to come out with a 700 class fuel injected V2 like the new Thundercat engine in the TRV chassis. One thing that has been a challenge is finding a hard box for the back that would fit around the seat. I finally found one and am in the process of modifying the removable seat with a rack that will allow me to quick mount/dismount the box and have a bit of rack behind the seat when I want it. The only thing I think AC did not meet my expectations with on this machine is the lack of rack space on the back with the seat in place. But I will fix that.

My TRV has plenty of power for anything I have attempted to do so far and the engine braking and 4-wheel system have worked well. The seat is comfortable and the suspension works great. I have had no problems with the machine. We have ridden desert and mountain terrain from 4,000 ft. to 11,500 ft. on everything from pavement to steep rocky terrain. The longer wheelbase actually makes the ride on rough terrain less choppy, it is more stable on steep climbs and descents and I can see very little difference in maneuverability. At this point, I would not go back to the shorter wheelbase.

If you decide to purchase a TRV, I cannot imagine that you would ever be unhappy with your choice. Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Range Rover

m74me,

Would like to see pictures of the back rack on your TRV. I purchased an 08 700 EFI TRV about 1 month ago. Only have about 100 miles on it but I love the ride. It is very stable going up hills. I had been thinking/looking at getting one for about 1 year. Was going to get the 650, but wanted the winch and I liked the better wheels and windshield so got the 700 instead. Ride is smooth and quality of the bike is great. Other decision was that my dealer who is great sells the AC's

Old 11-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is that the 08 700 with the 700H1 you have there?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

I think the 700 H1 is not on the TRV model yet, just on the single atv. I had the same thought, but nothing in the owners manual says H1 so I am thinking that it is still the suzuki engine. Does anyone know if they are putting the new H1 engine in the 08 700 EFI TRV yet?