Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

winch problems and charging problems

Old 12-16-2007, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winch problems and charging problems

I have a 2001 375 automatic 4x4. Just recently I noticed that the battery doesn't seem to be charging because I can't start it w/ the electric start. It just clicks likes it doesn't have enough juice. I can start it fine w/ the pull starter and the lights seem fine, they actually go a little dimmer when I give it gas. The battery has never been replaced. Do these atv's have an "alternator" or 'generator" to charge the battery? My other problem happened today when I hooked up my plow and pushed the winch in button and it killed the engine. I restarted it and tried it again, same thing. I fired it up again and gave it gas then pushed the button and it just makes a popping sound at the solenoid and wants to stall. I learned about the winch solenoid by reading some forum threads Does this sound like a solenoid problem or a winch motor problem? The winch does move a little bit each time before it wants to stall.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

you need a new battery. yours and all atvs have a magneto or along the idea of a magneto. basically it runs your accessories your lights heated grip etc if you have them. but when the load becomes to great for the magneto the battery will pick up the slack for the magneto and when the battery cant handle the load the magneto cant run the atv anymore and nor can the battery. its the same with an automobile your battery starts your car and then the altenator takes over but if the altenator fails or cant handle the load required to run the car the battery takes some if not all the load. and when the battery cant handle the load anymore the car stops running. so go buy a nice hd battery ive heard alot of good reviews on the oddyessey batteries. im due for one too on my 06 400. and that should take care of your problems and at the least it will stop the stalling. but im pretty sure it will cure what ales ya. good luck

Old 12-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for the info. If the lights were extremely dim while the atv is running would it still be a battery problem or would it be a magneto problem? My father's 300 has this problem.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jhchevy1

Thank you very much for the info. If the lights were extremely dim while the atv is running would it still be a battery problem or would it be a magneto problem? My father's 300 has this problem.</end quote></div>

They do make a battery and charging system tester! This would be the best way to find the problem without guessing.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

I had a similar problem a few years ago whle trying to plow. I could not raise the winch unless I had it in neutral and revved up the engine. I continued plowing and eventually that would not even work.

While idling mine was so bad that when I turned the lights on my engine died. I cleaned and checked all my battery connections and that is when I noticed a couple of dry cells in my battery, no fluid at all.

I took the measurements off my battery (length, width, height and noted position of the terminals) and went to Walmart and bought one for $24. It has lasted almost 4 years now and the factory one only made it two! Plus the dealer wanted almost $100 for the same battery!

So I second the sugesstion to replace your battery. If your winch selinoid was bad your winch would not nove at all.

SJ

Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

jhchevy its tough to say wether its a magneto issue or battery issue causeing the dim lights. take your battery down to your local autoparts store and have them test it for ya. that way you can rule out the battery. my guess is the battery. my winch on 2 seperate occasions in the last snow storm would go down but then not come up i would let the atv idle for a bit and it would start to work again. ive also noticed that my winch has barely had any power lately but thats due to my battery being toast. the winch is a huge load so have your battery tested my bet is its junk. buy a good hd one and youll be all set