Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Voltage Problems on my 400 LE

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage Problems on my 400 LE

'07 400 LE
Arctic Cat is baffled and my dealer too!
I was riding at night and my battery voltage dropped below 9volts. It shut off my display and flashed "volt" The head lights were too dim to see (I posted a previous message about this 2 days ago) Since then I took into the dealer. Anyway... I ruled out the battery...it's good. I called the dealer today and apparently my charging system works if the lights are OFF or ON in LOW BEAM. If the high beam is switched to ON, the charging sytem drops off and does not charge. The dealer unplugged the harness from the light bulbs on the High Beams only, and switched ON the High Beams, the charging system worked fine. Plug the harness back into the lightbulbs and it doesn't work again.

ANY IDEAS??? Arctic cat can't figure it out. It is still inder warranty. The dealer also replace the voltage regulator with a new one and it didn't change a thing!

HELP!!

Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DanToth

'07 400 LE

Arctic Cat is baffled and my dealer too!

I was riding at night and my battery voltage dropped below 9volts. It shut off my display and flashed "volt" The head lights were too dim to see (I posted a previous message about this 2 days ago) Since then I took into the dealer. Anyway... I ruled out the battery...it's good. I called the dealer today and apparently my charging system works if the lights are OFF or ON in LOW BEAM. If the high beam is switched to ON, the charging sytem drops off and does not charge. The dealer unplugged the harness from the light bulbs on the High Beams only, and switched ON the High Beams, the charging system worked fine. Plug the harness back into the lightbulbs and it doesn't work again.

ANY IDEAS??? Arctic cat can't figure it out. It is still inder warranty. The dealer also replace the voltage regulator with a new one and it didn't change a thing!

HELP!!</end quote></div>

All ATV's run off a magneto and they won't charge until the RPM goes over 2000, if you were running slow with the lights on then it was draining the battery. Idling will drain a battery.

You could possibly have a bad battery if not then since the regulator has been replaced then the next thing probably is in the magneto itself or the coils.

You may have a bare wire someplace making a ground which will also drain a battery.

Make sure your ground strap (that attaches to the case of your transmission on the right rear) is tight and also the connections to your battery are also tight.

You can also do a search in here to find a post - I posted a service manual trouble shooting section on your problem.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is a real stupid question, but how is the power from the motor transfered to the wiring harness? Is it connected to the battery terninals? Where is it connected to on the motor??I've got an electrical problem and trying to trouble shoot it.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

just in front of the battery, under the seat, you can see where the power starts getting split up, it runs down to the starter etc.., just behind the battery is the main fuses. The main wiring harness is tucked in a frame rail and very hard to get to. I doubt your problem is in there though.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hi beam light circuit is grounding out on the frame. Trace the hi beam light circuit to find it. It may be in the wiring harness or the Hi/Lo headlight switch.

HTH