Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help, I sunk my V2!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, I sunk my V2!!!!!!!!

While riding at Red Creek this past weekend, every thing was going great, when all of a sudden I heard a plop sound and motor died, just quit. I got water in my air box, and then into the engine. I got pulled out and we tried pulling the plugs and blowing the water out the cylinder, no luck, it wouldn't spin over.

I have never seen this before. No plugs, and won't spin over. Towed it in, brought it home and started tearing it down. When I went to remove the air box, I found the front carb not attached to the intake, just sitting on it. When I pulled the carbs, the front cylinder was full of water, to the top of the intake.

I have never torn down a 4 stroke motor. Shouldn't it spin over with out the plugs? What could be stopping it from turning over? Can't understand why it won't.

I think I will have to bring this one to the shop to be corrected. Anyone have any suggestions on how I may get it to spin over, why it is not spinning?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you bent a rod.

When your piston tries to compress the water it cannot do it and it is possible to bend a rod(replaced 2 last year on an Acura that drove through a low water crossing.)

If the rod is bent it will require a complete tear down to replace it and while your in there if you wanted to do any porting of the heads or high comression pistons or cam swaps now would be the time.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That ain't gonna be fun...nor cheap

Old 01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

Gee, thanks. I was hoping for some positive reinforcement, but in the back of my mind I know better. Had to come home from work to dig deeper, fixing to find out just what has happened.

Maybe I will be lucky, if not, maybe I will do some mods while it is in the shop.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

LOL!!! Sorry, but I couldn't resist!!! I feel for you though; we have all been there a time or two.....the best advise I can offer is look at this on the bright side; you get to do all the mods you wanted to do anyway....

I always hear about how wonderfull the imports like Honda are; yet the one time I bought an import (Honda motorcycle) I put in a new engine every 5,000 miles. After 15,000 miles and three new engines I got ride of the POS and have never bought an import brand since.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Trailblazer

Well it is in the shop. They told me all about what the worst could be. I can't believe a complete over haul could cost as much as they told me. Anyway he told me that he should have some information for me by thursday. There goes my income tax and maybe more.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

IF they have to rebuild the engine, it might be a lot cheaper to find a used one and just put that in there instead. If you are going to rebuilt, might as well bore it up to an 800. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Just tell the wife that is the cheapest way to get it running again... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Check out www.fourstroketech.com If you really want to go nuts with the rebuild on it.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

yeah those engines aint cheap to rebuild. dealer told me what it cost to do just the top end of brute force 750 (same motor) and i was so happy i had warranty (and didnt let them know that it went swimming)

as far as the carb just sitting there i think they had problems with the boots and clamps tearing and comming loose. had it on mine a couple times. i think thats one reason these motors have a reputation of wearing out fast, lots of unfiltered air getting in.

just a thought: you might want to think of having an aftermarket/private shop do the rebuild. a friend of mine that used to work at a private shop said that they always put slightly larger pistons in then it called for (.002-.003") and he said that it helped keep those from eating up the top ends and burning oil (they live up to the KawaSMOKIE name), dealer probably wont do that

Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM
Trailblazer

I just got the bad news!!!!!!!!! Oh my God, I never thought it would be this bad!!!!!!!!!!!

When the head was removed there was about an inch of silt (sand) on top of the piston. The rod broke, cylinder trashed, and bent crank. I may find a motor cheaper than the repairs. $3400 for the repairs. I only paid $4800 for it 7 months ago.

Does anyone know where I can find a 650 or 750 BF engine? Cheap!!!!!

Quick Reply: Help, I sunk my V2!!!!!!!!