Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

looking forward to summer!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can't stand it anymore. if i'm not working i'm cooped up in this house yearning to go ride my cat. it's cold and rainy down here in texas but the upcoming weekend may be sunny...i hope. i can never have it my way--70 and clear, instead it's either 114 and clear or 35 and dreary. sometimes texas sucks.
my cat is likely to feel 'reel' neglected during the summer because coastal fishing becomes my top past-time. no atv can ever beat the experience of a 25 lb kingfish stripping line from an abu garcia 7000 to the point where the screaming drag actually makes you look for ear plugs. have any of you guys from up north ever gone fishing in the gulf of mexico??
you would be amazed at the shear size of some of the fish in the gulf. one time we saw a strange looking fish hanging from a rack on a party boat as we got closer it turned out to be the remains 7 foot blacktip shark--bitten off just behind the dorsal fin.
i know some of you are hardcore freshwater addicts so i would like you to know that i could use the 10 pound bass you have hanging on your wall for BAIT.

a rambling redneck thought,

texascat.

Old 01-18-2001, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not to try and out do you bro BUT, I'm taking a trip in July that I've been wanting to take forever. I'm heading to the Keys (FL) to do some Tarpon and bone fish fishing. Also gonna do a little snorkeling while I'm there. I'm also headed to lake Fork in February to catch you some bait. Either way, fishin is fishin and it aint work! anyways, Good luck!

My neck will be gettin red around that time as well, along with my farmers tan,
JP

Old 01-18-2001, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

Gentlemen I use to fish the local bass money tournaments but currently find more relaxation in all day pleasure trips. The bass we catch in Northern MN are not that large but we have numbers. In the fall a fishing buddy and I can usually catch between 40 and 50 bass a day. They run from 2-4 lbs. If you use medium weight tackle it is a blast! Pig and Jigs in the sept.-oct. timeframe is the best. One of the best parts is most lakes with either, reeds, wood, or my special interest cabbage weed lines have bass. And the other thing is we have plenty of lakes. If they aren't biting on one put the cover on and drive a few miles to another! Winter can be long but I love this country for hunting and fishing 3 seasons of the year. By the way those southern states have some great fishing and that coastal action has got to be awesome!!!!

Old 01-19-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

Texascat,
I can't agree with you more on the weather. I know california will hate me for saying this but bring back El Nino! Our weather was great during the winter. When it's 75 on Christmas you can't complain. I din't even enjoy hunting this year. Wind and rain all the time. As for fishing I love to stay with my aunt in Portland outside of Corpus. Have't been this year...weather stinks. With all of the ice lately I've been busy mending fences on 700 acres. Mud and barb wire!

Old 01-19-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

We've just had the 2nd coldest December on record & the most snow in the last 15 years or so & it's still only the 19th of January!!!! I haven't taken the plow off the front of my Cat since I put it on. No recreation ridin' since before deer season!!!! Growing up in Colorado, I do get excited when the snow flys, but enough is enough already, let's have a little spring around here!!!!

Lance

Old 01-19-2001, 05:25 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Catlance, I too have a AC 500 auto, I was wondering how it handles that 60" moose plow? I will eventually buy a plow, but didn't know if it could handle something that wide.

Old 01-19-2001, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider

gspman,

The Big Cat handles the 60" Moose just fine. I was truly amazed at how it pushed snow. I found myself making big piles of snow just to see if the Cat would push them out of the way. It handled everything, even the piles from the highway crew, with no problem. Traction was great also, our first snow came right after about an inch of ice, so all of my clearing was basically clearing the snow off of a solid sheet of ice. I was wondering if I would need chains, but I don't ever remember even spinning out. I once needed to get my back gate open & it had about a 2' drift in front of it. I drove out thru the field with the blade raised as far as it would go (hitting quite a few drifts along the way) & lined up with the fence right on the 2' drift, dropped the blade & pushed a path for the gate to open thru with one pass & never spun a tire!!! Very impressive (imho).

I think the only reason to get a smaller plow would be if you were going to clear a lot of sidewalks. Even angled all the way, it's still to wide for a normal sidewalk.

Lance