Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2008 Thundercat VIN# info and problems with the first 80 or so T-Cats

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Thundercat VIN# info and problems with the first 80 or so T-Cats

Well I went up north last weekend to pick up another 1997 454 2x4 for my brother. My family is very good friends with the dealer up there and they had not seen a T-Cat yet so I told him I would bring mine up for them to check out and test ride, They were told by cat that they would not be receiving a t-cat this year so I figured what the hell I have to bring a trailer anyways. So I get up there and I se a T-Cat in the lot, It turns out right as I got off the phone with him a surprise shipment came in with a T-Cat on it for him. So i got a couple pics of our T-Cats together along with some info.

They only made 600 T-Cats this year and that is a fact, there is a rumor going around that cat only made about 400 and that is also what I have been hearing but that is not true. 600 is the magic number.

I also found out that after the dealer show when the T-Cat was first shown they gave the first 80 T-Cats away to the dealers who came to the show. It turns out that these first 80 T-cats had problems with the motor mounts, They would snap the mounts right off the frame, They have since then changed the frame but I guess these 80 may still be floating around. The other thing about the first 80 is the spike load dampener had a problem slipping in the first 80. They have now changed that to.

I had gotten a small lesson on how to read the Vin Number on these machines. The last 6 digits in your vin number is when it was made on what run. mine was #95 on the second run.

Here is the VIN number lesson I got for the T-Cat:
The first run of T-Cats had the frame issues and the spike load dampener issues. They made less than 100 on the first run and most of these ATVs went to magazines, Polaris, And Bombardier for them to test and review, But a few of these may still be out in population. Here is what I learned about the VIN
I will use this number as an example:4UF08ATV48T236065, This is not my real VIN #

The first Digits on any AC product will be "4UF" this designates the country and Manufacture. The next 2 digits on an ATV will be the year "08", Then the next three digits will say "ATV" The next two digits will be numbers I am not sure what the first number is but the second one is the year again "48" Then the next digit is a letter "T" I'm not sure what this means but the last six digits will be numbers This tells you about the production run, "236065" I am not sure what the first number designates but the second number is the run "3" so this ATV was produced on the third run, Now the last 4 digits is where it can get confusing these numbers indicate what number your ATV was off the line, now They only made 600 T-Cats give or take a couple so the third digit witch in this case is a "6" is an unknown number so you would take the last three numbers in this case they are "065" so this would have been the 65th one produced on the 3rd run. The first 80 or so T-Cats that had the frame issues and the spike load dampener issues would read<u> "21"</u> in the 6th and 5th to last digits or the 12th and 13th digit meaning it was on the first run so the last 6 digits would look something like this,<u> "215080"</u> I have also been informed that only 700 of ARCTIC CAT ATV dealers in the US were able to request a T-Cat.
I want to keep up to date on all the T-Cat stuff and I know a lot of other people would to so i wanted to open up a thread discussing all the low downs on the T-Cat.