Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

custom lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom lift kit

I have an 06 ac 500 and i am looking to build my own custom lift kit for it. Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, or maybe personal experience they wouldn't mind sharing w/ me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default custom lift kit

i have heard many cases of the axles pulling out while riding do to lifts. i know a guy who messed up his atv good because his lift caused his axle to pull out. have you thought about bigger tires with polaris 800 shocks?? you will have to grind the eyelet to fit your frame but it will lift your atv. popo shocks are longer than the ones on our cats so when you mount them up at the angle our shocks are at you get a lift from it. and you get a nice ride too

Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Default custom lift kit

All you have to do is build some spacers for your shock mounts. Just don't go too big. Too much will break the cv joints or pull them out like rango said.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default custom lift kit

Tancat,

You should look at somehighlifter HD springs for the front and rear. Kit with spring tool sells ontheir site for about $170 plus shipping. It added about 1.5inches of lift over the stock springs. Then get tires larger than 25inches say 26 or 27 inches.

Your steering will be improved with a good set of radial tires as the tires are less likely to roll on the rim and you get your lift. Plus as long as you don't go HUGE on the tires (30 or 31 inches) you will reduce the stress on your axles and bearings.

If you want to custom build something after doing this then customize the bumper and CV gaurds.

SJ

Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Range Rover
Default custom lift kit

Thanks guys for all the help! i made a set of spacers that moves the shock position by about one inch which is what i was told is about the distance the lifts you buy are.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default custom lift kit

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rango726

i have heard many cases of the axles pulling out while riding do to lifts. i know a guy who messed up his atv good because his lift caused his axle to pull out. have you thought about bigger tires with polaris 800 shocks?? you will have to grind the eyelet to fit your frame but it will lift your atv. popo shocks are longer than the ones on our cats so when you mount them up at the angle our shocks are at you get a lift from it. and you get a nice ride too</end quote></div>

thats why you should buy a popo to start with

lol

Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 AM
Trailblazer
Default custom lift kit

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: tancat500

Thanks guys for all the help! i made a set of spacers that moves the shock position by about one inch which is what i was told is about the distance the lifts you buy are.</end quote></div>

I have been wanting to do the same with my 06 400 AC, just to give it a inch lift. You happen to have pictures of the spacers and the install! Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Range Rover
Default custom lift kit

Hey BirdDog, I'll see what can do. It might be next week before ill be home to get those picks for ya!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer
Default custom lift kit

Not a problem on the pictures, but curious what you used to make them. Something you can get at your local hardware store and drill some holes?

Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 AM
Range Rover
Default custom lift kit

I used 1 1/4 square tubing and cut one side out of it. cut a piece 2" long cut one side out of it and drill your first hole about 3/8" in from end in the middle. from that hole drill another hole inch away. this will space your shock about one inch from the current location. you'll also have to get a piece of 3/8" pipe for a spacer on the current shock mount. then i cut a piece of 1/2 alu. drill some holes about 3" apart and drill a hole in the current shock bracket and mount the brace to the shock anf in the hole you drilled in the shock mount to keep it in the correct position. i know in sounds confusing, but ill try and get some picks to show you its really pretty simple!

Quick Reply: custom lift kit