Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Decisions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions??

I was wondering if I can get some input from you guys here.

Here is is my issue. I am going to get 2 new 250cc machines in the next few months. I have my choices narrowed down to 3 different machines.

Machine 1 Suzuki Ozark 250. My brother has one of these I have ridden it and it has been bullet proof, dependable , light and easy to handle.

Machine 2 Yamaha Big Bear 250. Some of the guys I ride with have the older beartracker 250's and they are similar to the Big Bear 250 very dependable, light and easy to handle.

Machine 3 AC 250. I am considering this because it is an AC but I know Kymco makes the engine and I know nothing about them. So I know the least about this macchine or the newer ones. Other than what the spec sheets tell me.

I have a place that will sell me 2 new 2008 Suzuki Ozark's for $5200 OTD. All 3 machines are similar in price so I can probably get a set or two them for about the same amount of $.

These machines are for guests and my kids to ride. I am looking for any information you guys might have one way or another. I am leaning toward the Ozark but could be persuaded to choose either.

Thanks in advance.

SJ

Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Decisions??

Just to add another bike to you decision, this would be the one I would choose. Check this forum out!

Raptor 250!!!

Old 05-31-2008, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions??

Hands down, go for the Ozark. No comparison at all between the Ozark and the Big Bear. The BB is an old, dated design, the Ozark will out handle and out perform it in every way. Getting an '08 Ozark for $2,600 OTD is insanely cheap.

Second choice would be the AC 250 but only if you were looking for an automatic. It's a good bike with a Lo range and IIRC, IRS? If you wanted those features then that would be the reason to get the AC over the Ozark.

Jaybee

Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Decisions??

Bought my wife the A/C 250. She loves it and I can slow it down for the kids to ride safely.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Decisions??

I like the idea of it being an auto for guests and kids as it would be easier for them to ride. Is the AC 250 a full auto tranny or a manual shift with an auto clutch? How dependable or reliable is that KYMCO engine?

I am leaning toward the Suzuki because I have ridden it, know it and trust it. But, it is a manual shift fully auto would be nice.

SJ

Old 06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Decisions??

I think all 250 2wd are reliable,there just to featureless and simple to have a edge over one or the other. I read a 250 2wd shoot out and it had no clear winner,it was like reading a comparison of push lawn mowers,they all cut grass.

My decision would just be based on price and dealer location for that class of machine. My old 86 250 Yamaha Moto4 I sold 8 years ago is still going strong.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Decisions??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: swampyjunior

I was wondering if I can get some input from you guys here.

Here is is my issue. I am going to get 2 new 250cc machines in the next few months. I have my choices narrowed down to 3 different machines.

Machine 1 Suzuki Ozark 250. My brother has one of these I have ridden it and it has been bullet proof, dependable , light and easy to handle.

Machine 2 Yamaha Big Bear 250. Some of the guys I ride with have the older beartracker 250's and they are similar to the Big Bear 250 very dependable, light and easy to handle.

Machine 3 AC 250. I am considering this because it is an AC but I know Kymco makes the engine and I know nothing about them. So I know the least about this macchine or the newer ones. Other than what the spec sheets tell me.

I have a place that will sell me 2 new 2008 Suzuki Ozark's for $5200 OTD. All 3 machines are similar in price so I can probably get a set or two them for about the same amount of $.

These machines are for guests and my kids to ride. I am looking for any information you guys might have one way or another. I am leaning toward the Ozark but could be persuaded to choose either.

Thanks in advance.

SJ</end quote></div>

I like Suzuki

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Decisions??

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

I think all 250 2wd are reliable,there just to featureless and simple to have a edge over one or the other. I read a 250 2wd shoot out and it had no clear winner,it was like reading a comparison of push lawn mowers,they all cut grass.

.</end quote></div>

That's not what I've seen and read.

In 'sport' 250's, the Suzuki Z250 and the Honda 250 are mostly a tie in a respectable 2nd place with the clear win going to the Yamaha Raptor 250. As a small sport bike, the Yamaha 250 has no real competition. The rest of the 250 class is way back in the pack.

For Utility 250's it's similar - The Suzuki Ozark and the Honda Recon are in a class by themselves. There was one 250 shootout a couple of years back by one of the mags - They split it up into two groups - The Ozark and Recon were in one test and all the others were in a separate test. But, that was a couple of years ago, I think that the Kymco and it's clones is making a decent showing.