Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New '08 TRV!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '08 TRV!!

Hey all. Yep newbie to ATV'n here. Just picked up an '08 650 TRV (red) and the wifey and I are having a blast!
Been years since I owned and off-road machine (moto-cross junkie in my youth) and I honestly forgot how much fun it was.
I'm already in "accessory" mode and have added a windshield/mirror/trailering cover/license plate bracket and most likely the smaller "lunch" kit bag for extra storage.

I'm also seriously looking into a VENOM 3000lb winch (Ebay- $119+shipping) but I have a question: mounting bracket? The VENOM boys say that the TRV frame doesn't need one with their winch.

But other manufacturer's offer one? (Warn/Gorilla)

Is the frame on the TRV "prefabbed" and strong enough for a winch, or do I need to add an extra mounting bracket for support. I'm not a "bury up to neck in mud kinda guy".....sofar. But I'm also not in the habit of bending frames.

WARN's $389 price tag is steep, & I've heard some good things about the VENOM winches.

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks all

Old 07-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default New '08 TRV!!

Welcome to the forum.

I do not know anything about the Venom winches. I can tell that when I originally bought my machines and had the 2500lb Warn winch come with my TRV and 400. From my experience these machines are large enough and weigh 500lbs loaded and if you get it stuck, unless you are one strong fella, you are not picking it up and moving it far. The 2500ln Warn winch has been truely priceless. Even if it cost $500 I would put one on my TRV.

When installed a plastic plate is removed off the front and the winch is slid between the front bumper and the radiator. It bolts to a steel plate then the steel plate bolts to the ATV frame. A roller head is attached to the outside of the steel plate for the cable to rub against. This is how my Warn winch attaches. I am wondering of the Venom has a wider bolt pattern and bolts directly to the frame? If not you will need a AC winch mounting bracket and fairlead (roller).

I can also tell you that if you do not clean the mud, sand, grit and dirt off the winch and out of the motor housing it will not last long regardless of how much you pay for it. It has been my experience that water, sand and dirt will get into the motor windings and corode them and when you need it the most the thing will not work. I take mine apart every winter and clean it as routine maintenance. It is 5years old and I have used it enough that I am due for my 3rd cable. It is absolutely a life saver.

I am not sure if the 08 models have changed their frame design to allow winches to bolt directly to the frame. My suspicion is that they have not though.

Also, the other "accessory" that I added was Highlifter HD springs to my stock shocks for my TRV. IT added about 1 inch of lift, because they are stiffer and stronger, than stock springs. Worth the $180 that is for sure. My wife thinks it made the machine handle better with two adults riding on it.

Hope this helps.

SJ

Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default New '08 TRV!!

thanks swampyjunior for the info!

I've been wondering about "up'n" the springs. The stock midrange setup is decent for 1 rider, but too soft for 2. I've found that if I setup the springs to the max, it's good for 2 but rough for 1 - DOUGH! eenie meenie.....

I have encountered some serious "nose-plowing" when riding 2 and decending semi-steep grades to the point the TRV is almost imposible to steer/control. I'm still getting used to driving it. All my off road experience is dirt bikes and sno-mobiles. Most of the skills cross over....some not so much.

I settled (for now) to up the stock set-up +1 turn and avoid steep grades when riding double if possible. (the wifey gets wound up anyways..)

As for the winch plate.....my TRV seems to have a decent 1/4" plate with holes drilled in both the lower and front flanges for attaching a winch that appears welded to the tube frame. So adding another plate looks like an un-nessesary pain if even possible.

I've done some web searching for +/- on VENOM winches and they seem about as comparable as any of them in terms of reliability/etc. But I work in advertising....so I know what "brand hype" is....

No decision made yet.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2008, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default New '08 TRV!!

Hey I'm talking to myself..........

Chime in on Gorilla Winches. Ebay's got a ton of them w/accessories including covers and remote switches.........

Google'd it too.........more reviews

Old 07-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Range Rover
Default New '08 TRV!!

You should be able to get rid of the nose plowing by getting ride of the stock tires. I upgraded to 25" Bighorns and what a difference it made in the handling of the TRV. My 2008 TRV LE PLUS came with the warn 3000 lb winch, mounted directly to the frame.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New '08 TRV!!

I really like my 3000 viper winch. It pulls my cat out easy.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default New '08 TRV!!

Thanks for the heads up on bigger tires Uncle. I was considering them, but probably not right away. (the wifey is getting anxious at my acessorizing..) but has at least ok'd the winch (she's the mudd'n type)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Speaking of winches, I'm still on the fence as to what to buy.

Gorilla has one on EBay for $78-119 - 2500-3000lb with extras. wireless remote??/winch cover/nylon rope option etc. (leaning towards)

Venom - close to the same.

When I buy, I'll post a review and hopefully a breakdown on ease/pain of installation with pics on either brand.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default New '08 TRV!!

Post some pics if you can.

I have 27" and they made a big difference.