Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Bent Tie Rods

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent Tie Rods

if you ever bent a tie rod 20 miles from your truck you know what I am talking about ,,, it sucks ,,, we have 4 of the 2008 prowlers and have had trouble with them bending the tie rods in the thread end of the tie rod ,,, well,,,,, I have the fix for that ,,, call at 641-647-2917 or cell is 641-895-7552 or e-mail me at kc0oww@sirisonline.com

Old 10-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bent Tie Rods

I have a fix also.....

Don't go places where you might bend one and stay away from big rocks - don't try to put a Prowler where a regular ATV goes - lol....

Old 10-23-2008, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bent Tie Rods

if you don't try the limits of the buggy you don't have any fun ,, I didn't buy it to set in the drive way ,,, I have a horse to but even it has its limits ,,, have fun ,,,, ride till it hurts and enjoy life as long as you can ,,it don't last near long enough

Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bent Tie Rods

hewestsr like buckaoo50 i try to take care of my quad because i have so much invested in my 06' AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 , and unlike most people who own these ATV's they them their toys i call something that cost more than my 89' GMC SAFARI Van , 88' GMC S1500 Jimmy 4x4 MPV and my 87' Chevy S10 Tahoe LongBed Pickup ; but sometimes "S**T Happens even when you least expect it !

I would like to know what your fix is , and if it would work on my 06' Arctic Cat 400 FIS Auto 4x4 ; anyting that could save money i would very much be interested in knowing i'll save your contact info in my Documents !

Thanks in advance for the info .....

Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bent Tie Rods

its not rocket science but I built a nut with a long collar that covers the threaded area and keeps the tie rod from bending ,,, Randy at www.atvonics.com has tried these out and he likes them so I been selling them for $20 a set ,,, if your rig has a 12x1.5 thread on the tie rod it probably would work on it to ,,,, the prowler has a problem bending in the threaded area of the tie rod ,, we have bent several before we put the nut extenders on and haven't bent any more ,,,,

Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bent Tie Rods

hewestsr i understand the concept you're talking about and i have no doubt it would work on any tie rod , i ran my own Small Engine Service and Repair shop for over 20 yrs ; and in that time i did my share of fabricating and reinforcing parts for both engines , frames , mower decks , drivetrains , mounting brakets and everything in between to improve the cheap brand name equipment making them commerical grade without the high cost of the major brands !

I can see that this fix could be used for alot more than just tie rods , so i thank you for the info and have a ball riding ; but do be carefull for your sake as well as for everyone else you might run into on the trails ; the life you save could be yours or mine i've been a bilateral amputtee since 1975 from an automobile accident and i know how short this life on earth can be !

Again i thank you for the tip and may the good Lord watch over you , and blees you with a long life and good health !..........

Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default Bent Tie Rods

I was only poking a little fun - hope you were not insulted with the wise cracks.

Another thing you can do is go to the junk yard and get some of a car and cut them to length rethread them and you would have a larger diameter rod, which would be somewhat stronger also.

I have always wondered if any parts of a Chevy Tracker or Suzuki Vitara could be crossed over like cv joints and boots differentials etc. Would be interesting to see. Probably be cheaper also than the ATV parts.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Default Bent Tie Rods

i wondered the same thing buck. lookin at a rav 4 not too long ago and thought to myself , "i wonder if that half shaft would work on my bike"? never measured to see how long they are ,but if they are the same size then id be wondering about the splines.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Bent Tie Rods

the thing you have to worry about is making the tie rod to strong and braking the steering housing ,,,,

Old 10-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Bent Tie Rods

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mudslinginfool

i wondered the same thing buck. lookin at a rav 4 not too long ago and thought to myself , "i wonder if that half shaft would work on my bike"? never measured to see how long they are ,but if they are the same size then id be wondering about the splines.</end quote></div>

Cool.

What I would really like to see is for AC to build a conventional unlocked rear end and have a manual locker for it like they do for the front end. Life would be so much better. So much better handling with no push and much easier on tire wear, easier to steer etc. Less realestate torn up (heck you could even drive on your own lawn and turn around without having to worry about the wife nailing you with a prying pan. Then when you need the extra traction lock the rear in like one would lock the front in.

You would think that with all the land owners complaining about ATV's tearing up realestate that AC would just build something like that for the rear - heck they have it for the front end, so why not for the rear end. Makes sense to me. Heck with some easy tires you could even use it for a "golf-cart" on certain days, change to more aggressive tires and go 4wheeling - lol.... I'd better shut up the wife might get the idea of hitching a lawnmower to it - well that probably would not be so bad after all. I don't like to mow the lawn but I like to ride the ATV... Would have to just pretend that I am on a trail and not on the lawn... hehehehehe.... Freaking 50 mph lawnmower - lol.... Yeehawww!!!

Quick Reply: Bent Tie Rods