Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

02 500i idles WAY TOO fast when REAL Hot.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 500i idles WAY TOO fast when REAL Hot.

My 02 500i manual idles somewhere around 2000-2500 rpm or more when it gets very hot. When cool the idle is OK. The totally incompetent people at Tracker Marie Service have rebuilt the carb 2 to 3 times and cannot fix the problem. So far I have paid them about $500. Now they are telling me the only way to fix this is to replace the carburetor for another $450. I say hogwash to that simply because I believe they are incompetent and here is why. They only have one Arctic Cat tech so apparently all work is done by him.

1. They replaced ball joints and did not inspect ,tighten, align etc the front end. When I picked it up the first time it steered loosely, and sideways.

2. They told me I needed a new $200 voltage regulator. I would not allow them to replace it. I picked it up and then very easily diagnosed that the problem was a simple $30 bad battery. One cell was dead. What kind of a tech would have misdiagnosed such a simple problem?

3. The cap (bolt) was about to fall out of the chain tensioner/adjuster when I picked it up. I had to tighten it.

4. Originally the tech only replaced the spark plug which was extremely fouled and announced that the fuel system was running OK. Again...hogwash. Apparently he did not drive it like I instructed him to, and I also told him that plug replacement was only a short term temporary fix and not the problem solution when I brought it to him originally.

At this point I have no confidence in the work they have done with the fuel system. If anyone cold give me some suggestions on what might be causing the fast idle I would greatly appreciate it. Remember it only idles too fast after the vehicle has been driven a while (say at least five - ten minutes of hard driving) to get it real hot.

Thanks for any assistance.

Tom P in VA Beach

Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

ive got the same machine, when temps raise and lower rapidly, like today as it is 25 degrees and this weekend will be in the 60s, i have to adjust the idle for the weather. It seems to idle real slow in the cold weather untill its warmed up,but once the bike gets warmed up it will idle higher. I simply adjust the screw on the carb by hand, you wont need a screw driver . Its simple and it may be your problem. Your tech could have messed with it while "fixing" your bike. Your manual should show where its at, youll get to it on the right side. Oh after you adjust it about 1/4 turn at a time, give it a little gas as it will help tune it in a little quicker.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

remember, the repair shops' SOLE PURPOSE is to make the owner money. They have zero skin in the game for fixing your problem.

I would first go and file a small claims court action for return of all labor on those bills, as they didn't fix it, and were RECKLESS in the terms of your front end.

Next, NEVER go back.. th eONLY way to complain, with any effectiveness for these establishments, is to NOT VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS

the mechanics get paid the same, fixed or not, the owner gets your money, and is darn happy for the repeat business.

In all honesty, for what you paid for the rebuild, you could have had the same grease monkey teach you how to do it, after hours, for $100 for him, and 50 in parts.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys,

Mud, I am aware of the idle adjustment, but until these problems started I never had to mess with it. Now I have to constantly adjust it.

Jeff, I will be the first to take them to small claims if I do not get satisfied. I already threatened them once to make them pay for the damage they did to my deer loader.

Will keep ya'll posted.
Thanks again

Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

good luck tperk.hope you get everythng figured out. Is there another honest dealer around you? perhaps they would give you better buisness if so.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your suggestion. I took my ATV to Rowlands in Smithfield, VA. They offer just the opposite from Tracker Marine....top notch service at almost half the labor rate. I was really impressed with David, their head ATV guy....very helpful, very knowledgeable, very courteous.

Problems solved....

BYE BYE Tracker.....Helllo Rowlands!

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Glad you got all figured out. I know its kinda off the topic ,but one dealer may do things that others will not and its always worth another look somewhere else, especially if you feel your getting screwed. Just yesterday i was at my dealer and mentioned another riding area that had huge rocks, i told him i was afraid i was going to break an axle. He said to me," You know the axles are covered under warranty". I smilesd and said, "Even with my 28" tires?", he said they didnt care. some dealers wont touch it ,but mine will. Thats my point i was making,lol.