Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Trv 400

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trv 400

Anyone have one? I sold my 03 Kodiak a month or so again and I may be in the market in the spring once my loving wife returns to work after mat leave.
I'm guessing that capability wont be an issue given the ground clearance and it has EBS and diff lock. I would probably upgrade the tires as part of the purchase since I have some pretty rough country in my back yard. My main concern is reliability, the AC's seem to be fairly simple and rugged but looks can sometimes be deceiving. Does anyone have one of these and how is it? I know that the 09s had an issue with faulty rear drive axles but from what I hear it was a bad batch from the supplier.
The only other two ATVs that I would consider are the Polaris X2 and Can-Am outlander max, in base trim of course. The Cat seems to win in the price department, the fact that it's the most conventional of the lot is a plus too.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

If you will be riding 2-up you may want to look at the AC 500TRV or the 650TRV. Especially since you had a kodiak. I have the 500TRV (It's my wife's machine) and could not be happier. However a few have posted on here that the 400 TRV feels under powered when riding with 2 full sized adults. So for you rugged country see if you can find a 500TRV or a 650TV and I think you will not regret it.

As far as reliability goes. I have been using my machines to plow snow, hunt and haul materials to my remote cabin site. Friends who have had other brands of ATV's doing the same jobs traveling the same trails have not held up so well. Enough so that 2 of my hunting partners just bought new Cats.

Hope this helps
Swampy

Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply, gonna keep that in mind regarding 2 up riding, I'll probably be solo 90% of the time and the other 10 with my kids. I doubt the wife would go anywhere close to it but you never know.... Basically I want a legal 2 up machine for as little as I have to spend to get the features I want. I was never a fan of Cat sleds but their ATVs seem to be well built from far off at least. Hopefully the dealer will have a demo.
P.S. I found the Kodiak underpowered compared to the '02 KVF 650 (Prairie) I had, but I also had a Magnum 325 at one point, slowest of the slow, my 300 king quad was faster. I've had something from each end of the spectrum.