Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 500 4x4

This is the wife's rig. Auto choke. Unit has about 60 hours on it. Just started making her mad. No cooking till fixed...LOL After it warms up, it cuts out, and backfires if given acceleration. Carb has been cleaned and drained. Not fixing the problem. please advise

Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum,

What color is the plug? Should be a light tan color.

If it is black and dirty, then it is running rich with tool much fuel.

If it is white, then it is lean and is not getting enough fuel.

My experince with similar issues tells me it is running rich. Air fuel mixture not right when you hit the throttle so it bogs down, etc.

Causes can be plugged high speed jet in carb, sticking choke, air fuel screw out of adjustment, dirty air filter or fuel pick-up in fuel tank or plugged vent tube.

There are so many little passages and ports inside the carb I have had to clean then 2 and 3 times to get it all. I also do not trust the auto chokes as it is electrical and can fail with out your knowledge.

Also, if you have not done so get some Seafoam fuel additive and run that throughit all the time. It can keep things from getting dirty and stabilizes the fuel if your machines sit for a week or two between rides. It also cleans deposits.

Swampy

Old 02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default arctic cat 500 quad

Thank you swampy,
It is great to use this and also have your help. I re-do Old ***** trucks, wagons, and have experience at having a mad wife.......
I am on par with your comments, and after reviewing, i think I need to prove, check the electric choke. I think that is where the problem is, and could use help with that. I also am a believer of manual chokes, as I also have a 400, and a 650 quad with manual choke. One thing I should mention is that when I went to start this, the battery was down, I pull started, and hence the problem. that is why I feel the choke is at fault. Battery charged up, still poppin.
Mike

Old 02-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
Welcome to the forum,

What color is the plug? Should be a light tan color.

If it is black and dirty, then it is running rich with tool much fuel.

If it is white, then it is lean and is not getting enough fuel.

My experince with similar issues tells me it is running rich. Air fuel mixture not right when you hit the throttle so it bogs down, etc.

Causes can be plugged high speed jet in carb, sticking choke, air fuel screw out of adjustment, dirty air filter or fuel pick-up in fuel tank or plugged vent tube.

There are so many little passages and ports inside the carb I have had to clean then 2 and 3 times to get it all. I also do not trust the auto chokes as it is electrical and can fail with out your knowledge.

Also, if you have not done so get some Seafoam fuel additive and run that throughit all the time. It can keep things from getting dirty and stabilizes the fuel if your machines sit for a week or two between rides. It also cleans deposits.

Swampy
Hey, I noticed Alaska. born in Kodiak, and go to Anchorage a bit.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey, Kodiak I love it! Ferry ride can be a bit tough though! Anchorage is OK to vist.

I currently live on the Kenai Peninsula but have been all over the state.

Maybe I will have to bring the Wheelers out to Kodiak and go riding with you some time.

Swampy

Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Arctic Cat 400 4wd

Where is the air fuel screw. I have looked on zillions of web sites and cant find it anywhere. Im running to rich. Where is the screw? Thanks

Old 03-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Arctic Cat 500 4x4 / AC 400 4wd where is the air fuel screw .

Originally Posted by AnnieG7
Where is the air fuel screw. I have looked on zillions of web sites and cant find it anywhere. Im running to rich. Where is the screw? Thanks
AnnieG7 welcome to the forums : The air fuel mixture screw is located in a tight spot to reach much less see , it's on the side of the carb facing the engine intake i don't know what you would have to take off to get to this screw on your quad ; on my 06' i would need to remove the air filter and air box and just about remove the carb to get to the screw to do any adjusting .

On early model's had the fuel tank on top in between the seat and handle bar's , the manufacturers reason for having the air / fuel screw in this tight and hard to get to spot is keep owner's from damaging the carb's needle valve and seat ; if you get to the adjustment screw turning it clockwise will lean the mixture counter clockwise will enrich the mixture .

I haven't had to adjust my carb since i got it feb. 2006 it was adjusted a little lean from the factory to help pass EPA emissions test my reason for not adjusting my carb is the elevation in the mountain's here in North Ga where i ride the air/fuel mixture is right on spec , if you are able to get to the adjustment screw turn it no more than a 1/4" at a time untill it run's smooth and doesn't stall the engine when you thumb the throddle ; if this doesn't help you may need to rejet the carb with a kit from your dealer . I hope this of some help if it doesn't someone like swampyjunior will jump in with more info .

williebee........