Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

4x4 Messed Up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Messed Up?

I just purchased a 99 Arctic Cat 500 4x4. For some reason the rear tires are not powering the quad. The drive axle spins but no power to tires. Is this a differential problem? This machine was very well maintained, no rust, you could eat off the swingarm clean. I hope that some ac fanatic out there knows whats happening and is an easy fix. I just used all of my money for this rig, my wife will kill me if it's broken. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Cool

First off - WECOME TO THE FORUM!

I'm no expert....but by what you've described I'd hazzard a guess that you've got a stripped pinion gear OR ring gear in your rear differential.

I'll also assume that when in 4X4 it moves/drives but in 2whl it just sits and rev's up?

Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but I'd recommend that you jack up the machine and check the "play" BOTH your rear 1/2 shafts and the primary drive shaft at the point where that all attach/enter the rear diff housing.

With the machine in N (I'm assuming it's an automatic -not a manual)- turning the diveshaft w/your hand SHOULD spin both rears. If it does.....then your problem is up in the actual transmission. Another sure way to know is to drop the rear diff oil - if it's full of shiny little metal pieces you've located at least the general AREA of the problem.

Sorry this isn't the answer to not having to spend $$$$ ya wanted. If you've got a dealer that's close I'd get an estimate. If your more inclined to fix-it yourself manuals are available on-line as are parts.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the hardy welcome. It's nice to have a place to ask/help people, or just to chat about wheelers.

The AC does move, but is being driven by front wheels only, the rear axle spins but does not drive the rear wheels. I am going to try the jack the rear and spin the rear axle and listen for some foreign sounds. I hope it is something stupid... Other than that its a real nice machine. I thank you for the prompt reply. I will let you know how I make out! Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider

Cazzie,

From what you are saying, it sounds to me like it is either something in the rear differential or the rear drive shaft is not getting power from the transmission.

The rear differential is all gears, splines, and shafts that could be broken or stripped and they are relatively cheap compared to anything in the transmission. Plus, most of the work in the rear differential you can do yourself while the transmission requires removing the engine and splitting the case which most people don't want to do themselves.

So I have my fingers crossed for you as well.

Swampy