Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Just bought a 04 650

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a 04 650

Ok, this is my first 4-wheeler and i think i've got a good deal on it, so i went ahead and bought it. It is an 04 LE with 500mi and i got it for $2700, but there is a couple things that need to be fixed. This is why i am posting.

First, the choke lever is broken, do i have to buy the whole hand contol assembly? I searched on the intenet and couldn't find anything.

Next, the radiator fan is always on, is that a coolant temp sensor problem?

Last is the rear foot brake. It had no pressure on it and doesn't opperate the rear brakes. Do it just need to be bled?

It seems like it's a list of problems, but i went and the guy said he never bought another choke lever because he pulls on the cable itselft, and sure enough, it start and runs well. When i was inspecting it, i saw something unplugged, and that ended up being the radiator fan. Is he trying to hide something?

I know it's a long first post, but i would appreciate your help and i plan to stick around a while. Comment are appreciated. Do you think i made a good deal?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Cool

Originally Posted by slaven66
Ok, this is my first 4-wheeler and i think i've got a good deal on it, so i went ahead and bought it. It is an 04 LE with 500mi and i got it for $2700, but there is a couple things that need to be fixed. This is why i am posting.
First off - WELCOME TO THE FORUM! And congrats on your "new" 650! I'll admit I'm not really familiar with older CATS, but I'll offer up my .02¢ with what I know.

First, the choke lever is broken, do i have to buy the whole hand contol assembly? I searched on the intenet and couldn't find anything.
Call a dealer. THey may be able to point you in the direction of either replacing JUST the cable or if the entire carb needs to be replaced (I'll thinking not) or hopefully another member will chime in. My '08 650H1 motor (yours I believe is a KAWI) has an electric choke & hand primer.

Next, the radiator fan is always on, is that a coolant temp sensor problem?
I'd hazzard a guess your temp sender is bad. But I'd also be checking to see where your coolant level is. If it's low...you may have air in the system.

Last is the rear foot brake. It had no pressure on it and doesn't opperate the rear brakes. Do it just need to be bled?
The rear piston in the foot brake assembly could be stuck as it's exposed to dirt/water/grime. Give it a close inspection and see it it compresses/de-compresses when you push on the pedal. If it does check your brake resevoir (under the seat). If it's low, you'll probably need to bleed them. As a final check see if your rear caliper is working it may be seized or if you have any brake pad left.

It seems like it's a list of problems, but i went and the guy said he never bought another choke lever because he pulls on the cable itselft, and sure enough, it start and runs well. When i was inspecting it, i saw something unplugged, and that ended up being the radiator fan. Is he trying to hide something?
I know it's a long first post, but i would appreciate your help and i plan to stick around a while. Comment are appreciated. Do you think i made a good deal?
Over all I'd be giving the machine a complete once-over.
- oil change
- change the diff oil
- air filter
- coolant
- checking ALL wiring plugs and for any chafing (could ALSO be your fan prob)
- brake pads
- belt
- frame cracks

You have no idea how the previous owner rode or took care of it. Your $$$ was not bad for the yr (you didn't mention mileage) Because these machines are an off-road toy they require more "vigilant" attention to maintenance.
Hopefully this gives you some direction, and ideas on what to do.

GOOD LUCK!! & enjoy your CAT!

Old 02-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cupsz71
First off - WELCOME TO THE FORUM! And congrats on your "new" 650! I'll admit I'm not really familiar with older CATS, but I'll offer up my .02¢ with what I know.

Call a dealer. THey may be able to point you in the direction of either replacing JUST the cable or if the entire carb needs to be replaced (I'll thinking not) or hopefully another member will chime in. My '08 650H1 motor (yours I believe is a KAWI) has an electric choke & hand primer.

I'd hazzard a guess your temp sender is bad. But I'd also be checking to see where your coolant level is. If it's low...you may have air in the system.

The rear piston in the foot brake assembly could be stuck as it's exposed to dirt/water/grime. Give it a close inspection and see it it compresses/de-compresses when you push on the pedal. If it does check your brake resevoir (under the seat). If it's low, you'll probably need to bleed them. As a final check see if your rear caliper is working it may be seized or if you have any brake pad left.

Over all I'd be giving the machine a complete once-over.
- oil change
- change the diff oil
- air filter
- coolant
- checking ALL wiring plugs and for any chafing (could ALSO be your fan prob)
- brake pads
- belt
- frame cracks

You have no idea how the previous owner rode or took care of it. Your $$$ was not bad for the yr (you didn't mention mileage) Because these machines are an off-road toy they require more "vigilant" attention to maintenance.
Hopefully this gives you some direction, and ideas on what to do.

GOOD LUCK!! & enjoy your CAT!
Thanks for your reply, i messed with it a little today, but i know very little about carbs. I don't believe the carb is the problem, i think the lever just froze up and broke. He told me to pull the cable to choke it, but today, it started right up without even doing that, but i'd still like to get a choke in case. I'd rather not replace the whole hand control assembly, and just get a universal lever, but i guess i'll end up doing whatever is needed.

Do you really think that air bubles would make the fan not come on? I figured if it's set to kick on at a certain temperature, then that's what it would do. Air bubbles would only make it overheat, which would be a seperate case.

In my quest today, i found some kind of sensor on the rear break that is also broken, what could what do. It seems as though it hits the sensor when the rear brake is let off. Also, the master cylinder moves, but never get any pressure. I thought the only fluid in it was the fluid in the master cylinder itself. I will check it out again tomorrow for the reservior under the seat.

Any help is appreciated, guys. If you know some good web sites for ordering parts, it would be appreciated greatly, as i cannot find the left hand control anywhere on the internet and the local cat dealer seem to be MIA today.

Thanks

Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Hello and welcome to the forum. First off are we talking about a V2 650(kawasaki motor) or the H1(arctic cat motor)? My guess with the radiator fan is that he may have bypassed it so it always stays on. That may be why he disconnected it. He may have had problems with it over heating. Which this bike sounds like a V2 with the issues you are having. maybe not though. Check to see if there is a bunch of mud in the radiator and if so,clean it. just use the garden hose and wash it till the water draining off is clean and/or you can see through it. This will elimante a possable dirty radiator before you check or replace the temp. sensor. As far as the rear brakes, that could be any of the things the others said or ive seen people just take the pads out because they dont work very well and they rattle. I did this with my 500. so it may not have brake pads on the right rear wheel. It'll be a good deal if you get it all fixed for a fair price, BUT, if it is the v2 then its a kawasaki motor and they have had belt problems. the belt may shred apart. which it may need some shims. I dont know alot about the v2 bikes but just what ive heard about them,and they dont make them any more. only make the H1. Oh,if it is a v2 then its recomended to ride in low up to about 40 mph or the belt will need replaced sooner. May just have to talk to someone who has one. Good luck!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

The senser in the rear may be for the tail light. when you push down on the foot brake the light should come on unless the wire is broke.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, it's a V2 if they had Kawi motors.

How do you test a temp sensor?

Are both of the rear brakes supposed to be disk brakes. It looks like it's just one.

Should I try to push to thing on someone else or it is worth fixing up? I'm not going to be going through to much mud or water, but i will give it a little hell.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i really dont know how to test the senser. Just make sure the fuse is the correct size fuse for the fan. He may have put a bigger one in if it kept blowing them. Which if he rode in the mud and the radiator got clogged with mud all the time it would blow a fuse. im just trying to rule out a few simple things before you replace anything. As already stated,replace all the fluids, spark plugs, and clean the air filter. That way if you find any other issue you can rule them out also. Yes the rear brake is only on the right rear but should have two different calipers on it. I think. one for the foot brake and the other for the hand brake which operates the front brake as well. if you get these simple things fixed you may have a good bike. Does the fan come on right away when its cold? If so,he bypassed it to run all the time. which means it must have been overheating for him. Dont get too discouraged, i bought an can-am outlander 500 last year with 250 miles on it for my wife. when we got home we took off down the trail and within 2 miles it over heated. checked the fuse for the fan, it was fine but the fan wasnt on. took it to the dealer (still under warrenty)and he found that the radiator was swollen. It was swollen so much it blocked off the air flow so it would never cool down. Now we got it all fixed and its been great. Gonna sell it actually to get a polaris rzr for the wife and daughter to ride in.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
i really dont know how to test the senser. Just make sure the fuse is the correct size fuse for the fan. He may have put a bigger one in if it kept blowing them. Which if he rode in the mud and the radiator got clogged with mud all the time it would blow a fuse. im just trying to rule out a few simple things before you replace anything. As already stated,replace all the fluids, spark plugs, and clean the air filter. That way if you find any other issue you can rule them out also. Yes the rear brake is only on the right rear but should have two different calipers on it. I think. one for the foot brake and the other for the hand brake which operates the front brake as well. if you get these simple things fixed you may have a good bike. Does the fan come on right away when its cold? If so,he bypassed it to run all the time. which means it must have been overheating for him. Dont get too discouraged, i bought an can-am outlander 500 last year with 250 miles on it for my wife. when we got home we took off down the trail and within 2 miles it over heated. checked the fuse for the fan, it was fine but the fan wasnt on. took it to the dealer (still under warrenty)and he found that the radiator was swollen. It was swollen so much it blocked off the air flow so it would never cool down. Now we got it all fixed and its been great. Gonna sell it actually to get a polaris rzr for the wife and daughter to ride in.
I'm not getting discouraged. I've read reviews with people having problems with the belts, but i figured i wasn't going to be as hard on it as they were. I don't really ever want to get it covered in mud like half these people do. The bike rides, brakes, fine, so i'm just wanting to replace these few little things to get it in tip top.

The previous owner said he replaced the oil and had a new battery, but i am going to replace the oil again to make sure, and change the filter, antifreeze..etc

Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay, i ordered a a new choke lever and the temp sensor. I found a sesor on the foot brake lever that is broken. It seems like it's for the brake light, but i am not certain. I think it's for the brakes because it is mounted so that the foot brake hits it when it is released.

Also, where do you guys buy brake pads? Is there someone where i can buy a whole set (Left and right-Front, foot brake and rear brake.)

Final question. How "free" is the choke cable supposed to be? I took the left hand controls off to take the cable out while mike lever is coming in. I couldn't really pull the choke cable with my hands, but i didn't try that hard anyways.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i cant help with the choke cable. i have no expierence with them as of yet. The brake pads ive just gotten from the dealer. ive only had to buy them once in 4,500 miles. Im sure someone can tell you of a cheaper place to get them. You may just google it and look at other sites thats what i usually do.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 04 650