Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

08 500 trv

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 500 trv

I just got a new (left over) 08 500 TRV. Was wondering if anyong has had any problems with this atv.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I too purchased a leftover 08 TRV. Hope you demanded a new battery.. I didn't. Also having issues with the shifter linkage or something. Sometimes it is a PIA to get into gear. Had it to the shop once and it is going back b/c it is not right yet.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by xcitmt
I too purchased a leftover 08 TRV. Hope you demanded a new battery.. I didn't. Also having issues with the shifter linkage or something. Sometimes it is a PIA to get into gear. Had it to the shop once and it is going back b/c it is not right yet.
I had to adjust my linkage a few times and lower my idle rpm when I first bought it. NP since. Just remember to be at idle when shifting, or it'll buzz like crazy till it drops into gear.

Loosen both locking nuts and turn clock-wise or counter-clockwise to move the shifter in the direction you want for easier shifts. When done simply re-tighten.

In answer to the original question.....the 500 is a SUZUKI motor NOT an H1 made from Arctic Cat. I've heard good things, but maybe a little underpowered depending on the size of the riders.
Oh and definately get the dealer to put in a new battery. The stock ones are crap, and tend to just die with no warning...especially if it's been sitting on the showroom floor not being charged.

my .02¢

good luck

Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Both my 400 manual transmission and my 500TRV had difficulty shifting when new. You need to get like 500-1000miles onthe machine and that goes away. Need to get them good and broke in.

Also, the engine begins to really wake up at this same time. I rememebr noticing a significant increase in pep around 800 miles or so.

As far as batteries go, if I get 3 years I feel lucky, four is a blessing and 5 is a miracle! Cold winters here are jsut too hard onthe small battery. I think the amperage the winch draws when plowing does not help either.

Buy and hard wire a little battery tender with an interenal float charge. That means it stops charging whenthe battery is 100% and starts again whenit is less. I am getting the batteries to last longer with this and I have less issues of the dreaded "click" from a dead battery.

Because I can pull start these machines but given the compression some can not.

Swampy

Old 03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. I have noticed the shifting prob.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

i have the 08 i bought it then and the battery is now over 2 yrs still going good praise God.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gell battery

Swampy, Have you tried the gell cell battery? I primarily use my 4 wheeler in the winter and just wondered if they would be worth the money. I have a rechargeable gell cell battery on my coon hunting light and it's about 12 years old. Hey, anyone got any specs on a 98 polaris 300 explorer? I need to check the stator on one and can't seem to find any info.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

A friend of mine has tried a fully sealed gel type battery on his ATV. He still has issues plowing with it not recharging well. I think it is due to a worn charging system and the amperage the winch draws.

To me it is not worth the $ for how I use my machine. I can get a battery from my local auto parts store for less than $45. It lasts 2 -3years tops. I park my machines outside in the winter and it is hard on the battery. More than once I have drained the battery very low plowing, did not run it long enough to charge it up, plugged in the battery tender and the battery froze and once the case split. Battery fluid drained all over when I put it in the garage over night to warm up.

I would be willing to bet your light you use for coon hunting does not use the amperage a winch does.

However, if you did not use your winch a bunch, like when plowing, it would probably work. I think it depends on the application.

swampy