Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Help, my 500LE pulls to the right

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=Fossil;2912609]Just so you know. Sloppy tie rod ends or bad toe in won't cause the ATV to pull to one side.

quote]

Not to be hateful but you couldnt be more wrong about this if you tried either of the above mentioned issues will absolutely cause the atv to drift to one side or the other. Im Just Sayin!!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:53 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling to right

Might cause it to drift but not to pull

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

Yes indeed, the guage under the seat is missing. I did find one at a hardware store, but, it would not measure the pressure which I had at the time. With your information, I will go back and get it Monday, as surely it will measure 10 or 12 lbs, and I can go from there. I am especially glad to have you confirm my suspicion about toe-in not effecting the pull to one side (I did some extreme changes today and that was my conclusion too). Now, I have gone back to shop manual alignment and toe-in and have the best, or least pull to the right since I started this. BUT, to look at from back to front to back, it really looks out of line. And with a straight stick to the sides of front to rear tire, IT IS. But, like I say it's the least pull to the right I've had.

Tomorrow I will do the tire check you suggested. Aspirin I have, chalk...maybe at la escuela. By the way, I'm assuming all 4 tires should have the same air pressure, and what would you recommend for travel at 35 to 40 mph on asphalt?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope
Default Pulling to right

What kind of tires do you have on it?

Old 04-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Definitely off road tires with good tread. Even off road, it wants to pull to the right and turn left hard, of course, just not as severe. Even so, before adjusting toe-in, I had used it several weeks and never noticed a pull to right, just a slight hard left turning. That's why I keep going back to that as I had gone 70-80 miles on asphalt and didn't notice any pull. But, the slight hard left turn got me to looking at the toe-in, and it just measured so severe, I just suspected that was the cause and off I went to correct it.
I still have to mark the tires and roll it (have to wait for the shade to come around that side of the casita).

Old 04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I marked the front tires, rolled the machine backwards (cc) 2 revolutions and the right tire mark was to the left of down by about 3/8 of an inch. So I let air out of the left tire. Right now, it runs pretty straight, and with factory specs on distances for frame and steering tolerances. Toe-in and wheels checked by a straight board are really off, but it's working. I still want to check wheel circumference with a rope, if I can find one. I can see tire pressure makes a huge difference. I now have a guage that checks 10 lbs or more, so I can also start higher and reduce pressure when next I get to a service station.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Default Help, my 500LE pulls to the right

Do you have a manual that tells you how to set the toe in? It's pretty easy. all you really need are a couple of tie down straps and a tape measure.

If you need an A/C shop manual, go to this website and download one for free.

K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts

Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, I have a pdf on cd from AC. That's what I've been using to set toe-in and wheel to frame, steering to frame. Thanks.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Default Help, my 500LE pulls to the right

I'm glad you are finally getting it sorted out!

You should always have a piece of rope in case you have to tow a Polaris!!!!

(I guess I shouldn't say that)

Old 04-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Good one! Especially since I always used to carry a rope on my BSA Victor when we went boondocking, to pull out Hondas, Suzukis, everything but Yamahas and Ducatis.

Thanks Fossil, Taker80, and others on this forum who taught me a great deal in a short time. "I'll be back"!

Quick Reply: Help, my 500LE pulls to the right