Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Back tire angle

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Back tire angle

Why does my back tires on my 06 400 4x4 angle out /\ instead of in \ / like when i got it new? Just put new shocks on it with new high lifter springs and its still the same,any help would be appreciated. thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Are you sure the shocks are the same length and not a little shorter than the stock shocks? thats the only thing a can think of without a visual in front of me.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Trailblazer
Default mudslinginfool

on the left side rear,i can barely pull on thr rack and the shock hits almost immediately (fully extended) other side is not so bad, but i had this neg. tire angle with the stock shocks before i put the new ones on, thats why i put the new ones one.Right side is worse then the left side."A"arms do not look bent or cracked.The robber stops that ride on the piston shaft are all the way up at the top,and i have the spring set at one notch on the heavy side from stock. The only thing i can think of is the "a" arms are screwed and ya cant see it with the naked eye.Right side of bike, tire sets flat on the ground or out just a little, the left side still sets in just a little but not as much as it did when it was new

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Them are the only other things i could think of also but wouldnt think that the a-arms would be bent,unless you jump it often maybe. Or maybe the upper a-arm mounts bent upwards slightly which would pull the tire in at the top. Ive had a a-arm mount bend in the front which made my wheels steer horribly. took 2 yrs and lots of different tweaking to find out what it was.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Trailblazer

mudslinginfool...............thanks for your input,think i'll get some new a arms and try that, there not that spendy and it's really the only thing i havent tried. thanks!!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

i looked for cracked paint to find my bent mount. It was out about 1/2 inch but couldnt tell with everything all bolted together. 1/2 inch at the mount but inches at the wheel. i kept thinking it was my a-arms but they were straight. My front wheel would tilt out at the top real bad when i turned right and tilt in when went left and made it hard to steer back straight. I finally jacked the bike up,took the wheel off and stared at the front end till i found something off. A had to cut the mount and re weld it. problem was solved. The kicker is i have never rolled it over. good luck.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

mudslinginfool

The kicker is i have rolled it over two or three times,once a deer jumped on top of me when i was goin 35+ mph

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Haha,that'll do it!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default mudslinginfool

that was two years ago,and it still hurts!! killed the deer and i've still got a small lump over my eye where i eat about 35yds of road.Just tore it apart again and took lower a arm of,then checked everything out.........still can't find anything,but..........i stuffed the axle up into the diff. as far as i could with the lower a arm off, and it looks like i got the right angle back for the bottom of tire (in) but when i put lower a back on,the angle flattens out again. Could it be that that little retainer clip on the end of the axle is not clipping into the diff.? but the axle is not coming out of the diff. I was following a 700 grizz one day,and he had a back axle that kept coming out of the diff.,bad or no clip at all.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope
Default Back TIre Angle

Check the bushings and pins in the rear knucles where the "A" arms attach. These wear out and can result in a lot of slop.

If you jack the bike up you should be able to feel the play by rocking the tire back and forth and up and down.

Quick Reply: Back tire angle