Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Installed SWAYBAR of TRV - pics w/initial impression

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Installed SWAYBAR of TRV - pics w/initial impression

Took a day off friday to get some things done around the yard, and detail (OCD Style) the wifey's new '02 Trailblazer while she's in St. Paul MN for the wkend.
After working thu my to-do list I ran across the AC sway bar box I'd bough off of EBAY ($30) that I'd put up on the shelf for a later date. That got's me think'n......TODAY is a later date! "hmmm...how HARD it is to install..."

With a game-plan in motion, I set about installing it on the TRV just after supper with the help of "the boy".

The instructions are fairly well laid out, and the organization & matching of parts went fairly easily. (there's ALOT of bolts) As far as getting the TRV prepped it was a simple matter of jacking it up - removing the rear tires - then dropping the back of the skid plate (4 screws).

I pre-assembled most of the sway bar assembly on the bench (check to make sure I HAD everything) as per the instructions that were fairly straightforward. The MOST important issue here is the proper placement of the swaybar collar(s) so the actual sway bar is centered.

I then moved the assembly to the TRV and with the help of "the boy" re-assembled it loosely in place on the frame. The whole assembly is pushed as far back "into" the frame bend as possible.

My ONLY real complaint was the total lack of pics/illustrations of how to attach the link assembly to the lower rear suspension control arm(s)?
The AC illustrations were too small to make out fine details, and when I had everything up into place it was essentially guess-work as to how it all connected/lined up. (NOTICE BRACKET OFF-SET - thank "the boy" for figuring that one out!)

The ABSOLUTE KEY HERE is to keep EVERYTHING loose!! Once I figured out just HOW this contraption was supposed to work together & everything had enough clearance...my "plan/guide" was to mount everything on the LEVEL.
Again the AC instructions are pretty vague here so ALOT of "eyeballing" is needed to line everything up.

Once I'd figured that out, I started tightening back wards beginning with the control arm links(x4), then moving to the actual frame mount(s)(x8). This step squeezes the rubber support/stabilizing mounts around the bar itself. THe last thing I tightened was the link connecting bolts (x4).

All that was left was to re-assemble the TRV and take 'er for a spin.....

WOW!

Now I was only able to take the TRV for a short spin but I did manage to ride on both roadway and ditch/field.

On the + side:
- less body roll/plowing in decelerating turns
- more stability on ditch slopes
- sharper response and seemingly less effort when tunning
- overall better/responsive handling IMHP.
- kick out the tail end PDQ when jam'n the throttle

On the - side:
- significantly rougher ride (shock adjustment needed) - done
- shocking inner front wheel lift in tight turns under acceleration
- front wheel lift in uneven terrain (riding over curb at an angle) suspension not able to negotiate as well (limited)

Now I'm not saying I've got this thing "dialed-in", but the TRV definitely handles differently. And IF I decide to leave the sway bar installed will depend on my experiences over the next couple of rides. I will note that DEBRIS could be an issue due to the low placement of the actual swaybar on the TRV itself.

That's bout it.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely done with EXCELLENT pictures, you should print up a manual for the installation and sell it !! So many here post blurry, dark pictures, yours are clear and show all the parts very easily visible. Good job !!