Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Hello From a Newbie and a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello From a Newbie and a couple of questions

Hello all

New to arctic cats, but not atv's. I have a honda fourtrax 300 2x4, but my son is getting big enough that the bike isn't. So I got a 2001 Arctic cat 300 4x4. I am really happy and think this is going to be a good addition for us.

I found the thread about changing the differnetial:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/arct...diff-lock.html
I have done this, but was wondeirng if there was any danger in it. I did not see any on the thread, it sure makes it harder to steer, which I expected, but the extra pull will be a good thing.

I also do not have an owner's manual and only have one key to the bike. I was wondering if there was a manual somewhere that I could dowload or if I had to go to the dealer for these items.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Mike

Old 11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope

I know my '07 has a sticker on the fender that says if you lose your manual contact Arctic Cat for a replacement. I don't know if they charge for them.
Your AC dealer should be able to sell you a key blank. Take it to a locksmith and have a spare cut.

Old 11-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

To make it easier to steer make sure that the front tires are "toe-in" aligned. a friend had an old Honda that was full time AWD and we did that to it and it was easier to turn and steer. I also do that on my 4x4 machines. I think they are almost 1/4 inch toe in.

If a dealer will not sell you a blank key, or make you a copy. Then get the key code (off the ignition or the key itself) and go to the dealer and they will order you a copy from the factory.

I personally find the owners manual useless. There is not much there except how to safely operate the ATV (which you probably already know) and when to do the maintenance. What you should look for is the Service Manual. It has all the info on what type of fluids, how much, and can help with directions of repairing things. Check Ebay and you can find a downloadable copy or a CD for around $10-$15. Might be able to get a paper version as well.

Those older AC 250 and 300's are a real Tank and a all around great little machine. It also has the Suzuki engine and Tranny which I like a whole lot more than the newer one made by AC or Kymco.

Hope this helps
Swampy

Old 11-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. I have never had an AC before, but I am really impressed with it so far. I have the service manuels for my other vehicles, trucks, mototcycle, fourtrax. I will look for the service manuel for that as well. I hope I won't need it, but I probably will.

Thanks again.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Hello From a Newbie and a couple questions

Originally Posted by prechermike
Hello all

New to arctic cats, but not atv's. I have a honda fourtrax 300 2x4, but my son is getting big enough that the bike isn't. So I got a 2001 Arctic cat 300 4x4. I am really happy and think this is going to be a good addition for us.

I found the thread about changing the differnetial:
http://forums.atvconnection.com/arct...diff-lock.html
I have done this, but was wondeirng if there was any danger in it. I did not see any on the thread, it sure makes it harder to steer, which I expected, but the extra pull will be a good thing.

I also do not have an owner's manual and only have one key to the bike. I was wondering if there was a manual somewhere that I could dowload or if I had to go to the dealer for these items.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Mike
Well to the forum Mike you can take your original key to Home Depot and get a copy made there , i have had key's made for my first and second quad's i used to own ; and i had 3 key's cut for my present quad an 2006 AC 400 FIS Auto 4x4 the one i had made for the 1986 Honda TRX 350 Foreman 4x4 was a longer key blank but it worked and really worked better than the original for the Honda being longer made it easier to lock the steering/handle bar's !

I wish my AC 400 had the lockable steering , it would make it harder to steal , good luck with your quad you've got a tough one in the 2001 AC 300 4x4 ; my second quad was a 1993 Suzuki LTF4WD 300 KQ it had the same engine and tranny as you AC 300 ; i sold the 93' KQ to my brother after i bought my AC 400 and it's still going strong for my borther and sister in law !

williebee..........

Old 11-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Williebee

Home Depot, huh? We have one in the next town over. I will have to check that out. Lowe's is here in town, they are usually, umm, not that much help. That will be good to know.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, the Home Depot does not have key blanks for motorcycles, etc. I appreciate the lead, however. I did get the owner's manual from the po, however, it appears to be one step short of useless. Any suggestions on the best place to get an electric copy of the srvice manual? I have seen several, ebay and such, but don't know much about them. Does Clymers make a book for this bike?

Old 12-02-2010, 04:44 PM
"If you haven't any charity in your heart, you have the worst kind of heart trouble." ~Bob Hope
Default manaul

You might try downloading the ftles at this link. It's a manual for all the 2003 AC ATV's.

Not sure if the 300's for 2001 and 2003 are the same but there's a good chance they are.

The download is free.

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts"

Old 12-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks guys. I did find a local locksmitht that made my keys for $4 each. I don't think that is too bad. I wil try the download for the manual as well, although I have put it on my Christmas list, so we will have to see how that works out. Thanks again for the replies.

Mike

Quick Reply: Hello From a Newbie and a couple of questions